Too Much Flow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pisces3473

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is is possible to have too much water circulation in a tank? I've got a 10g with a 300gph filter, no carbon just pads, and two Hydor 240gph wavemakers pointing into the middle. When I drop in dried mysis it blows all over the tank like there's a wind storm. Have I over done it? I see very few, if any, dead spots, usually stuff circulates until it gets sucked onto the filter intake which is covered with a filter pad.

untill your fish are pressed up against the walls there's no such thing as to much flow i have 10k gph in my 180 and the fish and coral seem happy and healthy

untill your fish are pressed up against the walls there's no such thing as to much flow i have 10k gph in my 180 and the fish and coral seem happy and healthy

Oh, the mental imagery LOL... then when the tide turns they see the other side of the glass. Too funny. Made my day.

Actually grizz you have 55 times turn over. High but just over the 30-50 recommended by most. He has 78 times turnover. Way high. Almost 50% more than you have.

Yes, I think the OP should reduce his flow a lot.

Actually grizz you have 55 times turn over. High but just over the 30-50 recommended by most. He has 78 times turnover. Way high. Almost 50% more than you have.

Yes, I think the OP should reduce his flow a lot.

I've unplugged one of the powerheads and I'll be going back to check on it today. So I'm at a bout 540gph with the current set-up. I suppose that's closer to the goal of 30-50 times turnover. I can also restrict the flow of the filter to 0 if I want, maybe I'll plug in the other powerhead and slow down the HOB. I understand this may be a fine tuning issue. And yes the Damsels are plenty fast to catch the food in the tank, but... point taken.

Thoughts?

:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom