Trouble with Otocinclus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dalport

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have been desparately trying to keep a couple otos in my tank for regular algae control, but I have not been successful. I typically by them two at a time. One usually lasts 1-2 weeks and the second lasts 3-4 weeks. I know that these fish can be difficult to keep, but am hoping someone can help me out.

My tank has a very high ph - approximately 8.2. I've got to believe this is part of the problem - any thoughts?

My tank is a 20 gallon freshwater that is currently stocked with just 5 whitecould mountain minnows. In addition to the algae in the tank, I have supplemented oto feeding with slices of zucchini.

When I finally decided to buy ottos I stopped cleaning the brown algae off my glass sides. I bought three and they have been doing fantastic so far. maybe you should try dropping the ph. Mines is around 7.4.

I also have lots of surfaces where algae can grow. Natural rock surfaces and plenty of broad leaf surfaces on plants. I actually try to encourage algae growth so I'll leave the the aquarium light on a little longer than usual, about 10 hours a day minimum.

Be sure to check your other water parameters such as ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. And what is your tank temp? You can also try to supplement thier diet with algae tabs. This doesnt work for me because I have swords, mollies and platies and they devour the tab before my poor ottos even know they are there lol.

Oh and for the record they've pretty much cleaned my glass. :)

Tank temp is set to 76 degrees. I have tried the algae wafers but my otos were not interested so I switched to zucchini. They do go for the zucchini.

I am inclined to try lowering the ph and then try another set of otos. I do not want to use chemicals so was thinking of either driftwood or the API tapwater filter. Any thoughts on either or other suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom