Unexpected Blood Parrot: HELP! :

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oto

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everybody,

I came home today to find a blood parrot fish, about 4 inches long, in a bag in the bathtub. My mom brought it home from a friend whose tank had recently been set on fire because of electrical problems. :ermm: As a result, they are giving away the tank and the fish, and one went to my mom. :facepalm:

Right now, I have it in a 2.5 gallon bucket I normally use for water changes witha clay pot, some duckweed, and a few clumps of moss. I added some stress coat, and the fish seems to be doing a bit better. I have an airpump, but it doesn't seem to be working very well, and I don't have an airstone. I can't heat the bucket either.

The room temperature is about 74 degrees, but the temperature will probably drop tonight. :(

I have no idea what to do with this fish. I'd love to keep it, but I only have a 10 gallon with some guppy fry and can't get any larger tanks. ANY suggestions or help would really be appreciated!:thanks: Also, do blood parrots eat pond snails?

Imho, the only humane thing to do would be to donate it to a LFS... They really need a 50g tank minimum. They would kill your guppies as they are fairly aggressive fish.

I put the bucket near a heater for now... yeah, I'm probably going to put the blood parrot up for adoption on the classified section. What should I do in the meantime?

You should call pet stores and try to get it taken in tonight. You can't keep it in a 2 gallon bucket waiting on someone to reply.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'd love to take it to the LFS, but I have no way to get it there. I'm still in high school and can't travel that far, especially with a live fish. I got a 5 gallon heated and filtered tank for now, but this is really only temporary. I put up an ad in the classified section...my school is pretty much right next to the post office.

Back
Top Bottom