Update on Fishless Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mctypething

Aquarium Advice Regular
I will try to keep a running update on my fishless cycle as I seem to be encountering issues so I hope it can help others to learn from me.

As I posted before, I added too much ammonia to my 55 gallon tank when I first started the cycle. I added a half cup, which I learned later was way too much much. Since the API test kit for ammonia is hard to read (at least for me) at levels past 4 ppm, I'll try to stick to colors. The color was VERY dark, like a dark green/blue.

Based on recommendations on this forum, I did a huge water change. Probably 75%, maybe a little more. When I re-tested for ammonia, it was still on the high side, but this time it seemed to be between 4 and 8 on the API test. Probably closer to 8. I was surprised to see the levels that high when I had just done a huge water change. But I was encouraged that I could see green in the test tube and not just blue.

6 days later, the ammonia level hasn't moved, and I have no nitrites. It's not an issue of patience, I'm happy waiting as long as I need to to let this thing cycle. I just don't know if my cycle has started or not. I don't want to keep losing time waiting for it to cycle if it's not going to.

Obviously, I didn't add any more ammonia after the change. Was 75%-80% enough of a water change? Should I wait a few more days to see if my nitrites go up? How many days is normal for ammonia to start dropping?

I'm happy to keep waiting, I just would like some sort of assurance that my tank is indeed cycling.

Thanks

IMO: still too high. Would recommend no higher than 4. Also, your cycle will take weeks not days. If you haven't checked, get your temp up in the 80-82 range also. I still think you should have emptied and started over clean.

From what ive read, ammonia above 8ppm will kill off any bacteria, so if its still that high, youre probably not going to cycle. I agree with CaptainAhab, empty it, start over.

I tend to agree. Do another large water change, get out as much of the water as you possible can. You can always add more ammonia if you get too much of it out.

3-5ppm is where you want to be, then it will take a week (YMMV) before you start to see anything different in your tank, in terms of falling ammonia levels and/or signs of nitrItes.

Okay, I did another large water change tonight and tested for ammonia about an hour later. It was right around 4 ppm, so I'm pretty happy. It sucks that I wasted so much time having the ammonia so high, but I hope to be on the right track now. Since the water has been disrupted so many times, do I need to do anything or just keep testing and the ammonia should drop soon?

Back
Top Bottom