Upgrading 20G to 55G - Need for Cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziparis35

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All, :D

I have some questions about setting up a new 55G tank. I have wiped the new tank down, rinsed the gravel, decor, filter, and thermometer, and set everything up except water. I was trying to decide on whether to go for a fishless or fish-in cycle.

However, after doing some research, I am now thinking this may not be as drawn out a process as I first thought. I am actually upgrading my 20G into this new 55G, so am bringing a lot of existing media and BB to the party. Even though I have all new plants, gravel, and rocks for my 55, I plan on placing the old filter media into the new one, bringing over some old plants, and draining most of the water from the 20 into the 55, then topping up the rest of the way with dechlorinated tap water.

My 20G is currently (over)stocked with 2 large gouramis, 1 juvenile gourami, 1 Australian rainbow, 1 skirt tetra, 3 lamp tetras, 1 platy, 1 swordtail, 1 guppy, 5 zebra danios, 1 leopard danio, 1 cherry barb, 1 mystery snail, 1 dwarf frog, and 2 albino corys.

What do you think? Will this allow for the immediate introduction of my fish from my 20G into the 55? Will the existing media that I bring over be enough to seed the new tank? The only thing I'm not really bringing over is the old gravel and it's only because there is not enough of it to fill the new tank and because I've grown tired of the color (black versus my new natural stone/pebble color). I plan on testing water every day/every other day if necessary and doing water changes religiously if toxins climb.

Any advice and opinions would be appreciated :fish2:

It depends on what the existing media is (volume wise) to determine if it will be enough. If your using filtration in the 20 that's designer for a 55 or larger, then yes it would suffice. If your adding another filter in addition then I would say put both on the 20 for a few weeks to get both balanced first, then swap everything over to the 55 at one time. Do not introduce any new fish for at least a month after the change over as that will prevent a mini cycle. I've used (canister) filters for a 40 in a 20 and swapped the entire load (fish and water) over to a 55 and installed the existing media (and added new media) into a larger filter with no issues many times.

Hi All, :D

I have some questions about setting up a new 55G tank. I have wiped the new tank down, rinsed the gravel, decor, filter, and thermometer, and set everything up except water. I was trying to decide on whether to go for a fishless or fish-in cycle.

However, after doing some research, I am now thinking this may not be as drawn out a process as I first thought. I am actually upgrading my 20G into this new 55G, so am bringing a lot of existing media and BB to the party. Even though I have all new plants, gravel, and rocks for my 55, I plan on placing the old filter media into the new one, bringing over some old plants, and draining most of the water from the 20 into the 55, then topping up the rest of the way with dechlorinated tap water.

My 20G is currently (over)stocked with 2 large gouramis, 1 juvenile gourami, 1 Australian rainbow, 1 skirt tetra, 3 lamp tetras, 1 platy, 1 swordtail, 1 guppy, 5 zebra danios, 1 leopard danio, 1 cherry barb, 1 mystery snail, 1 dwarf frog, and 2 albino corys.

What do you think? Will this allow for the immediate introduction of my fish from my 20G into the 55? Will the existing media that I bring over be enough to seed the new tank? The only thing I'm not really bringing over is the old gravel and it's only because there is not enough of it to fill the new tank and because I've grown tired of the color (black versus my new natural stone/pebble color). I plan on testing water every day/every other day if necessary and doing water changes religiously if toxins climb.

Any advice and opinions would be appreciated :fish2:

If you've had those fish in your existing tank for a while and it's stable, if you use all the media from your filter, add as much water as you can from the 20 you should be ok. Your filter should have enough sustainable BB for your current fish load be it in a 20 or 55. Try to put as much from your 20 in the 55 as you can like the decor and such, will help too. (Put old substrate in NEW, UNWASHED pantyhose/stockings in the 55 for a few weeks to help even more).

You may experience a mini cycle, but you sound like you'll have that under control. Also, after a month, slowly start upping your stock. A few more rainbows, tetras and danios should be in schools of at least 5-6 each, and get 4 more corys. Large schools of a few fish look better and less chaotic than a bunch of singles. They really do need to be in groups. Good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom