Upgrading to 90 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsoxfan910

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I'm upgrading from an established 28 gallon tank to a 90 gallon. A pictus cat and a blochii will initially be going into the new tank.

I took an established filter cartridge from the old tank and wrung it out in the new water yesterday. The filter is now in the new canister filter.

I just tested the parameters... Ammonia and nitrites basically 0, nitrates maybe .05-.10. Ph is 6 or so... Notoriously acidic water comes out of my tap. The ph in my other tank is also 6. Tested the established tank... Ammonia and nitrites zero, nitrates are elevated to 40 or higher probably due to lack of maintenance lately (I know, I know).

Should I add the fish to the new tank asap to proliferate the new bacteria? I am thinking about possibly SLOWLY increasing the ph in the new tank over the next couple weeks with baking soda.

Thoughts? Thanks!

I probably wouldn't add fish just yet. I use the "cheater method" also when I start a new tank, but in my experience, the first couple days give a false reading. After 3 or 4 more days, you may still find nitrites in your tank. IMO, wait at least a week, do another reading, and go from there.

I probably wouldn't add fish just yet. I use the "cheater method" also when I start a new tank, but in my experience, the first couple days give a false reading. After 3 or 4 more days, you may still find nitrites in your tank. IMO, wait at least a week, do another reading, and go from there.

Ok, I had just read some literature that suggested that the fish would actually feed the seeded BB

I'm a perpetual cheater- I always grab juvenile male endlers hybrids from my turtle tanks that are the spawn of 5 cent feeder guppies!!

I would hold off on adding anything that you're attached to- but don't run out and buy feeders either as they carry lots of disease and nastiness.... BUT- if you're breeding them for feeder purposes they serve double duty as cycle fish.

Considering you added mature filter media your initial ammonia spike may be a little slower and less extreme. I still wouldn't add add any fish to try to egg on your cycle because it can cause a crash in water chemistry as easy as it can help progress.

I'm a perpetual cheater- I always grab juvenile male endlers hybrids from my turtle tanks that are the spawn of 5 cent feeder guppies!!

I would hold off on adding anything that you're attached to- but don't run out and buy feeders either as they carry lots of disease and nastiness.... BUT- if you're breeding them for feeder purposes they serve double duty as cycle fish.

Considering you added mature filter media your initial ammonia spike may be a little slower and less extreme. I still wouldn't add add any fish to try to egg on your cycle because it can cause a crash in water chemistry as easy as it can help progress.

Should I dose ammonia to test the cycle? See if it detoxifies it in 24h?

Yes, assume it is a fish less cycle with a boost. Wait for the Ammonia to drop to zero and add more within 24 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The fish are in. In typical catfish fashion they hide for most of the day and then get out once the room is dark. Makes the tank less nice to look at for guests I think.

Anyway, I have to figure out what to do about stocking now. Again I have one blochii and one pictus. I presume I should get a few more pictus? I also want some fish that will be a bit more prominent during the day who won't become food.

The guy at my LFS said to get the Blochii out of there, add a few more pictus and begin to build from there.

Any thoughts?

The guy at my LFS said to get the Blochii out of there, add a few more pictus and begin to build from there.

Any thoughts?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom