Urgent ich treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hartgirl

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, a few weeks ago I was battling ich, and I've always treated with heat and salt. This time was no exception, except that this time raising the heat started a bout of really bad columnaris. I treated with triple sulfa for 5 days, lowered the temp, and contained the disease.

Now the ich is back and I'm too scared to try and raise the heat again. I've never used meds for ich, so I'm curious what you've tried that worked and didn't stain the silicone! There's so many brands to choose from. (I have angels and corys in the tank also!)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well, a few weeks ago I was battling ich, and I've always treated with heat and salt. This time was no exception, except that this time raising the heat started a bout of really bad columnaris. I treated with triple sulfa for 5 days, lowered the temp, and contained the disease.

Now the ich is back and I'm too scared to try and raise the heat again. I've never used meds for ich, so I'm curious what you've tried that worked and didn't stain the silicone! There's so many brands to choose from. (I have angels and corys in the tank also!)

Just had a guy on a different site come on and claim kordon ich attack worked for him. Whether that info was solid I cannot vouch for sadly.

Good luck.

I hate to use meds. I realize I had to for columnaris, but ich is so easy without....what are the odds if get it again (columnaris) if i raise the temp?

What kind of fish do you have? A healthy amount of salt, seasalt especially, along with 86 degrees for 10-14 days and lots of PWC are suppose to work for ick. As long as the temperature rises slowly and the fish aren't stressed, the columnaris really shouldnt "come back"

I hate to use meds. I realize I had to for columnaris, but ich is so easy without....what are the odds if get it again (columnaris) if i raise the temp?

All depends on your tank but in my limited experience with it, excellent chance of it coming back. If it has been generally winter weather over your way, then a better chance that it won't.

Well one fish with ich died. It was the electric blue ram and I think the batch we get of those are terribly finicky to begin with. I haven't looked today because I've been gone for Thanksgiving...but hopefully the meds (Kordon Ich Attack, supposedly more "natural" for the scaleless fish) has contained the spread

I'm going to raise the temp VERY slowly like over the course of several, SEVERAL days as long as it's not spreading just to be sure ....maybe a half dose of salt since my plants hated it the first time

Back
Top Bottom