Used aquarium fixer upper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hartgirl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I found this dirt cheap 75 gallon that I really want. It's clean and holds water, looks in good shape. EXCEPT that the bottom tank trim is missing or cracked along the sides.

I've done some reading on this, I can replace the trim (a pain, but pretty cheap). Has anyone tried this? Does it affect how well the tank holds up to water pressure once it's filled? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That size is going to pretty heavy, it will be around 700 pounds with substrate etc. you would need to fix the trim and put it on polystyrene, is it on a stand........ ?

I have a sold wood stand....bigger than the tank by far actually...i like to utilize the space on the sides for decor ;) lol

I found a place that sells the trim and you just have to silicone it back in place after taking off old trim

have you checked to make sure it doesn't leak?
replacing the trim is one thing, finding and sealing leaks is another.
If it leaks I would pass on it, if it only needs the trim replaced, go for it.

It does hold water, but at some point would it be worth it to change out the silicone? I've been watching videos on it...ever tried it by any chance?

It does hold water, but at some point would it be worth it to change out the silicone? I've been watching videos on it...ever tried it by any chance?

nope, never tried to reseal a complete tank, but I do know that attempting to seal leaks can be futile at times.

as far resealing the entire thing, you need to ask yourself is it worth your time and expense to do it vs the savings you got on the initial price?

It's super super cheap....could be! I'm going to look at it tonight. The trim should be easy....re-sealing with silicone looks time consuming, but easy...I just don't want it to hold water now, and then in a few months spring a leak....lol.

Back
Top Bottom