Using natural rocks and driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrogFrenzy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can I use driftwood and rocks I found in the creek behind my house inside my tank? I'm low on funds so I'd like to find wood and rocks instead of buying them. If I can use them what do I have to do before I put them in my tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

And these pieces of wood are pretty big and won't fit in a pot to boil, so what would I do to clean them?

I have done the same thing. On advice, I sun dried the wood (6 months but recommended only 24 hours) then boiled the wood for half an hour. After this I scrubbed it down with a tooth brush (didn't have anything more sensibly sized) to remove any loose material and gave it a very good rinse. There are some poisonous woods, but I was advised that the drying and boiling would render them harmless(?).

As for rocks, I scrubbed them down and gave them a good rinse also.

4-6 months later, all is well. I've just recently repeated the process for my 4 foot hoping for the same easy results.

I have done the same thing. On advice, I sun dried the wood (6 months but recommended only 24 hours) then boiled the wood for half an hour. After this I scrubbed it down with a tooth brush (didn't have anything more sensibly sized) to remove any loose material and gave it a very good rinse. There are some poisonous woods, but I was advised that the drying and boiling would render them harmless(?).

As for rocks, I scrubbed them down and gave them a good rinse also.

4-6 months later, all is well. I've just recently repeated the process for my 4 foot hoping for the same easy results.

Ok thank you! And for the wood that's too big to boil what would I do?

Just read your recent. Hard core hose blasting should do it followed by thorough drying if it is already aged (apparently, but I wasn't sure so didn't try it). The boiling was apparently to remove harmful toxins and excess tannins. you could also try soaking it in very hot water (turning and repositioning as requires) with several changes then cleaning. I did this quite lazily with a more vine like piece of already very dry wood to remove the bark without being too finicky and that too was fine. I dried it out for a day after then soaking prior to placement in the tank. (maybe blasting with hot water if you have a marcher or gurney). No soap!

IDK about the driftwood, but I also have a creek in my backyard, and I get rocks from it all the time. I spray the rocks with a hose, and then I dry them in then sun for 6 hours. Then I take 'em to a bath, and soak them in the hottest water possible. This way, you aren't boiling them, but are still killing any parasites that might be on the rocks. Boiled rocks have a chance to explode.

Back
Top Bottom