uv cleaner questons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neil_04

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone i was thinking about adding a uv cleaner to my tank, but befor i do anything i wanted to get everyones oppinions and thoughts on them. also do they just burn bacteria?

well i guess really i just want to buff my water i cant ever seem to make it like the LFS water. Theirs is crystal clear and blue am i looking in the wrong direction?

What kind of maintence do you do on your tank? How long has it been set up? Does your LFS use one?

I was looking at one, but has achieved the results I wanted with water changes, vacuuming, and a little scrubbing.

i do at least two vacumes a week plus a minimum of one partial water change a week. i need to get a scrubber as my 10 gal has started to grow algae on the back wall. my 37 has been up for about 6-7 weeks it cycled at 4 and a half weeks. I was also concerned about my tank being so ddep that i may need a small power head to circulate oxygen over the entire body of water

also i belive my drift wood is leaking tannins my water is kind of brownish green i change 15% and it gets somewhat clear then a few days later brownish green

If your filter causes the surface to be disrupted, then you are fine as far as air goes. UV Sterilizers remove stuff from the water, but won't remove algea from surfaces, or kill it. It will only kill the stuff floating in the water.

I would take the driftwood out and soak it, them boil it. When the water you are soaking it in stops turning color, then add it back in. It may take a few weeks, but it will be worth it. The tannins can be harmful to your fish.

will my pleco be ok with out the drift wood he really likes to hang on to it for most of the day

He should be fine, he will find a new place to hang out. It is better to disrupt him a little then kill him.

ok im about to leaVE WORK and go get a small trash can i can fill up with water, should i treat the water i soak it in with dechlorinator

You can but sitting in the open air should remove it, also when you boil the water you will remove the chlorine.

I personally like to use a product called Seachem Purigen to polish my water.
If you think a tank is clear, put some purigen in and then you will really see what clear is.

i saw that stuff in my fish magazine can u add it direct to the water or is it a additive for filtration

uv doesnt remove stuff it kills bacteria algae what ever floating in the water. i have never used one. it also wont clear up the leeching from the driftwood. boil it like tehy said or just keep up with the water change its not hurting anything.

Back
Top Bottom