UV sterilizer when to add one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Acronuts

Aquarium Advice Freak
:bounce2:I wanted to know w/ my new 180g when will be a good time to add a uv sterilizer?
The tank has been running 2 wks but has most of my old water, old LR, and about 50% of the old sand.
I figured I could start at around the 5th week. Why? Well I thought that the uv would not be selective in which bacteria it zapped. Adding too soon might kill beneficial bacteria that I may need right now.
What are your thoughts?

Not worth the money, IMO. It only kills what flows through it. By the way, your beneficial bacteria is mostly on/in your rock/sand and very little is free floating.

I agree 100% with Scott.
I never used or owned a UV in the 20 yrs I've had a reef tank.

I had one set in my 125g because I kept losing fish to ick. Of course quarantining is something I did not practice. (bad on my part). After I added it I notice a decline in fish loss and my coralline still grew.
Was it because I had a very established 125g tank at that point( 5 years)?
The copepods positives make me think though and if I am planning on adding a refugium then I guess I should not have a uv, right?

This is how I have mine. I have mine plumbed into my return line. I simply unplug it when I dont want to use it. If I notice an algal bloom or a parasitic fish then I plug it back in. That simple and therefore I have it. I do however strongly believe in having one. It pretty much ensures that if a sick fish does get into your aquarium that all of your other fish are pretty much safe in regards to that parasite. I would get one.

I used one for several yrs but I dont have one now. It`s not one of those "must" things. One thing I wanted to bring up is dont worry about killing any of the beneficial bacteria as there is very little if any in the water column. All your nitrifying bacteria is on surfaces like the glass and LR. That will be one less thing you have to worry about.

Actually I already have one. I was worried that I was killing bacteria like an antibotic does. I feel that so far everyone is fine so the use of one isn't necessary. f I do happen to get some algae I would hope my tangs would consume it quickly.
Thanks guys for your suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom