vacuum gravel at every water change???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yankeeslover

Aquarium Advice Activist
finally have my 29 gallon cycled... im not even close to stocked yet, but once i have everything all stocked do i do a 25-30% PWC once per week? and if so do i do the gravel everyweek? and if i do gravel every week do i do all the gravel or only a section at a time? i dont want to start a cycle again by losing bacteria...i do use a AC 70, so i imagine alot of bacteria is on that big filter..

In a newly cycled 29 gallon, I would do a partial gravel vac every 2 weeks. I would do 50% water changes weekly as fish love fresh water.

After 3 months or so, or an increase in your bioload if prior to 3 months, I would switch to gravel vacs every week, still doing 50% water change weekly.

You wont lose your biological filter through water changes unless you dont dechlorinate the water ;) I dont know what everyone else does, but i change out as much water as I can each week, with a shallow gravel vac. I have heavily planted tanks, so I dont deeply vac.

I change at least 100% of the water in all my tanks once per week (except the shrimp tanks), usually in 50% biweekly steps. Large water changes wont hurt the bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom