Vent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtnee

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55gl that is already stocked to what I feel is enough. I squeezed two baby Clown Loaches in there and planned on 3 more to make my group of 5, knowing they would be okay until I get the 75gl in a few months. The Clown Loaches, Fourline Pictus cats (2) and the Pleco was to move to the 75gl and still will.

Plans were changed a little. My sister has a 10gl tank with 2 spotted pictus that are at 4 inches, two red tail sharks and 1 CAE. She had 2 CAE but one is missing. He was eaten I am sure.

I talked her into giving me the spotted pictus. A few months ago I saw how gross her gravel was and taught her how to gravel vac and take care of her tank. Since that time in the last few months her spotted pictus have grown A LOT. The smallest one was so tiny like it had not grown and now is 4 inches.

Yesterday I had her bag up some water as well as I did mine. We went to the LFS. Testing water her ammonia was close to 1 and mine was 0. I had him check the PH what I was most worried about in the move and hers was almost 8 and mine is 7-7.2 range. He said the fish would be fine going from the high to lower instead of lower to higher so fast. That my PH was better for them health wise any ways.

We get them out and brought over. I did a gravel vac and 50% PWC before I put them in there. Adding water to their bucket every 15mins to get them use to my water. They were talking and making noises, very stressed out. They have been in that 10gl for a year to the day yesterday. We let them lose in my 55gl and they were fighting with my 2 spotted pictus. There is PLENTY of hiding places for them but I realize they just need to work out their ranking in there.

This morning is much better. Her two spotted pictus have moved into the wrecked ship with my 6" fourline pictus who could care less. He is so mellow. He shares it with them and the new spotted pictus are kicking the pleco out though. LOL the Pleco is all confused as he use to hang out with Pranzer (fourline pictus) in the ship. Pleco keeps squeezing in there too.

The pleco also sits in the two large logs on the other side of the tank with my 2 spotted pictus so I know he can always go there. It seems now they all have their spot and it is uphill from here.

I told my sister to go with some small tetra for her 10gl tank and not to get a fish that will outgrow it. I cant keep taking the fish. I may be taking her redtail sharks eventually as well to stay in the 75gl when I get it. They can not and should not be in that 10gl.

The LFS even told her she needed to address her ammonia level before she got more fish.

This morning she asked how her pictus were doing and I told her the update. She then tells me her tank feels empty now and is thinking of 1 more red fin shark and calling it good! I went off on her! I told her the 2 she has in there shouldnt be in there and adding 1 more is uncalled for. That her tank is to small for 1!!! They get big.

I told her I cant keep taking these fish and she needs to get fish that can either 1) stay in the 10gl as a home for good or 2) she plants to upgrade with their growth and give them a proper home.

UGH!!!!!!

Right now on the bottom of my 55gl

4 spotted pictus (3-4")
2 fourlines (5-6")
1 pleco (3")
2 clown loaches 1 1/2-2" each

They are content and my tank is very healthy and I take such good care of it with 50% PWC and gravel vacs once a week do to the larger fish in there and the massive pooping pleco. My ammonia stays at 0 and so does my nitrItes. My nitrAtes never go over 20 so that is all good!

I am going to get that 75gl and put the 2 four lines in it, the clown loaches and pleco. The 55gl will stay with the 4 spotted pictus, when I get the 125gl (couple of years) the clown loaches and pleco will go in it and leave the 75gl for the four line pictus cats. It will all work out.

If I take in the red fin sharks I figure they can stay in the 75gl. Is that enough room for two of them? If my sister gets another I am going to refuse to take them all in. I cant keep doing this.

The bummer in this.. I am not comfortable getting 3 more small clown loaches right now like I had planned. What do you think???? I will have the 75gl in 2 months or so.

The complete stock sits at this right now

4 spotted pictus (3-4")
2 fourlines (5-6")
1 pleco (3")
2 clown loaches 1 1/2-2" each

1 apple snail

8 serpae tetra - full grown
8 white skirt tetra - full grown
3 glass tetra - still growing
3 bleeding heart tetra - larger but not sure they are done growing

Should I wait on the other 3 CL or do you think I will be okay to put them in there for a few months since they are small yet? I know my upkeep plays a big role in this and I stay on that. I wanted my group if clowns together before I got the 75gl so they are in their group.

Once I get that 75gl and move out the pleco and the larger fourlines it will remove a lot as those are the big fish in the tank.

The bottom of my tank is pretty open in the middle and the entire back so there is plenty of swimming room. The clown loaches I have now are thriving well and eating lots of baby snails and happy in there.

One last issue. Out of the two CL one has its fins up a lot and the other's top fin is always clamped. He eats well and swims all over the place and shows no signs of illness. I have had him 2 weeks or so this way and he seems fine. Is this you think illness? stress still? could it be his age since he is a baby? Should I worry? He is eating well both sinking foods and snails. Swims with the other CL or by himself, all over the tank, not rubbing on anything, sleeps on his side and does loach things and just seems so normal. His fin is always clamped to his body.

Wow, sounds chaotic. I've gone through similar things in the past with juggling various fish across different tanks, and taking in rescued fish. I have to say, as you've discovered: sometimes it's best just saying 'no' because you risk disturbing a working environment by doing so. You may be best taking them and then handing them to an LFS or a friend, or leaving them be.

Right, onto your dilemma! The clowns: you've got 2 and wanted to get 3 more for a group of 5, which are for your 75G, and then eventually for a planned 125G, is that right?
I would leave them at 2 then for now while you've got the new occupants. If you get the 75G in a couple of months then I would time the purchase of 3 new clowns to coincide with the move. That is, you move your 2 to the 75G at the same time as you add 3 new ones. This way the hierarchy will be restablished all in one go, saving your clowns a bit of stress (and you as well).

The 10G: those two red tailed (or redfinned, or did you mean she has 2 RTBS and wants one additional redfinned?) should not be in there, like you say. It's too small for even one. These fish grow to 6" or so (least mine is) and need a lot of prowling space. RTBS should only be housed as individuals as well, never more than one to a tank IME and opinion. They will fight, quite seriously, otherwise. Maybe she hasn't experienced this yet, but I can guarantee it will happen.
You don't have space for them in either the 55G or the 75G plan you describe: I would take them and send them to the LFS or leave her with them and pressure her to doing something about it herself (send her to this forum for starters lol!).

I hate to think what the nitrAte levels are in that 10G...I really do. If she's kept those fish in there for however long and they're still as small as you describe then they are already stunted in growth, and will be severely prone to illness in the long-run, esp. if they've been exposed to toxic levels of ammonia for the duration as well... :(

Sometimes the only way to learn a lesson is the hard way, and your sister may well be that kind of learner (nothing wrong with it particularly, but research/knowledge isn't exactly hard to obtain these days with the Internet). You may just have to let her learn from her own mistakes!

Wow is all I can really say to that.

It sounds like you should be thinking of the 125 sooner then later.
Now let me explain this.

Pleco is 3" now will become 9 - 16 pending food and happieness.
Redtailed shark will grow to become 6 - 9 inches long (I have a 7 inch long rainbow, VERY close cuson to red-tail)
The loaches I think get to about 8-12 inches ANTHER BIG FISH,
The pictus are likly almost full grown and if you keep them in the 55G will be very happy.
I dont know much about "Fourlines" but every at 6" is a larger fish.

That right there already enough to warrent the larger 72" 125G tank. Add the top swimers in and that's a lot of fish. Even for a 75G.

I know you plan to split them all up for now and that's good but a foot long fish rearly stays happy in a tank hardly 4 times thier own lenght.

Good luck!! I hope you can keep everything in check. AND PLEASE don't let her get anther shark.

thanks for all the advice.

I want the 75gl before the 125gl for a reason. I want the 75gl for my fourlines. The fourlines get bigger then the spotted pictus and the 75gl is going to be their home.

The 125 is needed for my clowns and pleco who are babies and I will be just fine in 2yrs getting them the 125gl. The two year gap between the 75 and 125gl gives me time to save up for it. :) It will all work out if I stop taking in her fish LOL

I dont mind the 2 spotted pictus I got. I love pictus and having 4 in the 55gl is great.

Back
Top Bottom