Very Persistent Fin Rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellieca

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, the basics . . . male VT Betta, 5g tank, no tank mates, temp 78-80F, sponge filter rated for a 10g, tank was set up March 2nd after his 10g sprung a leak while I was at work, no live plants, tank refuses to completely cycle. I have not tested the water lately because I have been doing 50%+ water changes pretty much every other day to keep his water clean. He has had fin rot since the tank disaster back in March. I have used aq salt, I have used & am currently using Kanaplex, I have done 2 rounds of Maracyn/Maracyn 2 & I have done very frequent water changes. His tail fin is pretty much GONE & I don't know what else to try. He is eating like normal, he is fairly active (gets excited when he sees me), his color I think is a little faded but not too bad. Suggestions????

Well, if I wasn't doing water changes every other day that would be a great place to start. When I tested daily the results were all over the map, 0 across the board one day, a few days later ammonia at .5, nitrites 0, then nitrites would spike up to .5 & then everything would zero out again. This is another reason I started doing water changes every other day, to try to get the water more stable.

Certainly your call. It was just a suggestion.

If it were me thats what I would do but that is just me. Hope you can get it figured out.

Certainly your call. It was just a suggestion.

If it were me thats what I would do but that is just me. Hope you can get it figured out.

I understand & I don't mean to sound testy or grumpy. A water test is typically where I start; its only been recently I haven't been testing this tank daily as this has been going on for 4 months. I don't know what testing my water will do at this point. I'm keeping the water clean by doing such frequent water changes; ammonia, nitrites & nitrates don't have enough time to build up to cause the fin rot. I know it initially began from the stress he suffered from being trapped for hours inside a cave decoration when his original tank leaked & left him only an inch or so of water. I have 5 other stable & fully cycled tanks but for some reason this tank has been quite the problem child.

I understand & I don't mean to sound testy or grumpy. A water test is typically where I start; its only been recently I haven't been testing this tank daily as this has been going on for 4 months. I don't know what testing my water will do at this point. I'm keeping the water clean by doing such frequent water changes; ammonia, nitrites & nitrates don't have enough time to build up to cause the fin rot. I know it initially began from the stress he suffered from being trapped for hours inside a cave decoration when his original tank leaked & left him only an inch or so of water. I have 5 other stable & fully cycled tanks but for some reason this tank has been quite the problem child.

Hey don't sweat it , no problem here and I can understand your fustration.

As you said in your original post it sounds like it has not completely cycled. If you have other tanks can you use some filter media , gravel; something and put that in the tank to try to get some good bacteria introduced in order to get the nitrates to come up? . Good luck Just another thought and hope you get it figured out.

Water tests were as I suspected . . . tank NOT cycled. Ammonia .25 0 nitrites/nitrates. I don't understand why this particular tank won't cycle. Last water change was Weds. about 60% changed. I've gone back to Kanaplex, I don't know if you can dose it for too long & have adverse effects but his tail, what's left of it, doesn't have as much black on it.

Back
Top Bottom