Wanna double check...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TangoTank

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Day: #1million (no... jk. Day #16 of the fish less cycle)

API Master FW Test Kit
pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 2-4ppm
Nitrite: >0ppm
Nitrate: >0ppm
Prime water conditioner w/ city tap water

Fish LESS cycle, 15 gal column tank, HOB filter (w/ non-seeded bio-sponge filter), 8" bubble wand, heater @ 84, gravel substrate, no live plants, no seeded media/substrate used

Had an algae bloom Day #2 after filling tank w/ spring water--I'm guessin' the water was high in phosphates since light was not an issue). Blacked out the tank a few days. Then proceeded w/ ACE Hardware Ammonia. Got sick of the green water, siphoned out as much as I could & refilled the tank, it was almost clear as a bell. The algae is starting to come back after about 1.5 weeks. But I have the heater cranked to 84 so I'm asking for it in a tank that has a known algae prob. The ammonia has not dropped, the small, small NitrIte & NitrAte readings are probably from my tap. I just put a pinch of super crushed up fish food in to hopefully feed the bacteria nutrients of the algae are sapping them up.

Is there ANYTHING else I should check? Is water alkalinity or hardness possibly a factor here?? If so, what do I need to go get to get this show on the road?!

Thank you in advance for your help!! The info from this site has been tremendously helpful!! I lurk, read everything I can. Can't wait til I can give other people advice ;o)

Without seeded materials, what you need is patients lol. I know it sucks but fishless cycle without seeded material will take about a month give or take. Just keep checking your ammonia keep it around 3-4 ppm and give it time.

Back
Top Bottom