Water Change, Aquasafe and shrimp :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Son1cbo0m

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi!
Just a few questions, i've recently purchased some mountain shrimp to go into my 300lt tank, and i'm due to do my fortnightly 10-20% water change, i tried looking on my "tetra - Aquasafe" ... and cannot find if it contains any copper or anything harmfull to shrimp?

Would also like to know if this product is safe too (for shrimps and a cycled tank of 10months) as i'd like to go onto this for future water treatments as i "hear" its better;

Also, the way i water change is, empty 10-20%.... then fill up my bucket/bin, add the aquasafe, stir it around, then leave it 5 minutes and add to the aquarium.... Is this the correct method?

Also, got my shrimp yesterday, i know they like low'ish light, but 1 i haven't seen since yesterday, 1 is on my amazon sword plan doing.. well nothing, and another keeps moving round on the bottom near my cococut shell and java fern "cave" thing... I hear from a guy i work with, how he constantly see's his filtering and digging up his substrate, is this just because its a new environment for them and will settle into their routine shortly?

oh oh 1 more thing, my clown loaches seem to be battling one another constantly, is this just a dominance thing, sorting the pecking order out?

Thankyou very much for your help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, my replies are in blue.

Hi!
Just a few questions, i've recently purchased some mountain shrimp to go into my 300lt tank, and i'm due to do my fortnightly 10-20% water change, i tried looking on my "tetra - Aquasafe" ... and cannot find if it contains any copper or anything harmfull to shrimp?

I don't think it should be harmful to shrimp. It seems like it's just a dechlorinator that removes the harmful chemicals from tap water to make the water safe for fish. I think it should be fine with the AquaSafe.

Would also like to know if this product is safe too (for shrimps and a cycled tank of 10months) as i'd like to go onto this for future water treatments as i "hear" its better;

Yes, again, it should be safe. What were you using before? Prime is actually one of the better dechlorinators, not sure where AquaSafe falls, but it should do the job of making the tap water safe for your fish and shrimp.

Also, the way i water change is, empty 10-20%.... then fill up my bucket/bin, add the aquasafe, stir it around, then leave it 5 minutes and add to the aquarium.... Is this the correct method?
Yep I think that's fine.

Also, got my shrimp yesterday, i know they like low'ish light, but 1 i haven't seen since yesterday, 1 is on my amazon sword plan doing.. well nothing, and another keeps moving round on the bottom near my cococut shell and java fern "cave" thing... I hear from a guy i work with, how he constantly see's his filtering and digging up his substrate, is this just because its a new environment for them and will settle into their routine shortly?
I know nothing about shrimp, sorry, maybe someone else with more experience with them will reply and help.

oh oh 1 more thing, my clown loaches seem to be battling one another constantly, is this just a dominance thing, sorting the pecking order out?
Again I've no idea lol Perhaps some others with more experience will comment.

Thankyou very much for your help :)

Welcome to AA!

Back
Top Bottom