Water change question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Natrualbeauty22

Aquarium Advice Activist
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414548558.911939.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414548601.950096.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414548617.006044.jpg
My tank is planted with an Eheim canister filter and has been cycled for 3 weeks or so I have added since 8 fish. My parameters have been perfect ammonia 0 nitrate 0 nitrite0 ph is 6.5 nothing has changed ever. Do I need to do a weekly water change any way?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Natrualbeauty22,

Water changes every week are not necessary but they cannot really hurt. I water change every week because you are always better safe than sorry.

Hope this helps!

Water changes are necessary for reasons other than water parameters. There's a lot to water that's not measured in those 4 tests.

The gold standard is 50% weekly. Some people get by with less without rising nitrites. I wouldn't suggest going longer than a week or lower than 20% even if you have perfect parameters, if you're new.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Yes you must change water weekly, Ph tends to decrease over time and alterations in kh and phosphates will affect aswell. You also have other minerals that are present that need to be refreshed in the water. Just giving a bit more insight to previous answers :)

Looks like you have a fairly large tank. Probably don't have enough fish producing enough waste fast enough and the plants use it up. But as stated i would still change water weekly for other reasons besides keeping nitrates down, it replaces other minerals and things.

Your Tank

View attachment 254223View attachment 254224View attachment 254225
My tank is planted with an Eheim canister filter and has been cycled for 3 weeks or so I have added since 8 fish. My parameters have been perfect ammonia 0 nitrate 0 nitrite0 ph is 6.5 nothing has changed ever. Do I need to do a weekly water change any way?

Hello Nat...

Your most important goal in keeping fish is to maintain pure water conditions at all times. So, getting your fish used to large, weekly water changes is by far the best thing you can do to maintain a healthy tank. Even with a small fish load, the water chemistry will change due to constant filtration. To keep a steady water chemistry, work up to the point you're removing and replacing half the water weekly. The more water you change, and the more often you change it, the better the environment.

B

The amount of water you should change, especially in a situation where you have plants absorbing a substantial amount of nitrates is a very hotly debated subject.

I would say that most people would recommend somewhere between 20-50% per week depending on a variety of factors.

Back
Top Bottom