Water quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm by no means an expert, especially where it pertains to water chemistry (Oracle system design & development, yes just not water chemistry :roll: ) but from what I'm seeing you have a TDS somewhere between 150 & 220. The TDS out of my RO/DI is 0. My TDS going in was roughly 150. I don't see measurements for PO4 or Nitrate and those are going to have a great impact on your ability to control nuisance algaes. I'm not sure what affect the Alk & pH levels will have on your tank.

What I can tell you, based on my experience, is that I set my tank up with tap, switched over to LFS bought water and then had a crisis where I was changing ridiculous amounts of water so I went back to tap. After that I bought a RO/DI and now I mix my own water. In my sand, up against my glass I have some cyano growing. My guess is that there is something from the initial mix of water that is feeding the cyano in my sand. Whatever the cause, it isn't rampant in my tank at this point (and it seems, much to my surprise, that my blue leg hermits love the stuff), but I have a fairly good feeling that the water in my tank is mostly RO/DI at this point. What would my tank look like if I had kept on using tap water? Dunno but I'm glad not to have to find out!

You could start by testing your tap for NO3 & PO4 to see what you've got coming out of your tap.

I also see that you have some aluminum in your water. I don't know at what point that presents a problem to corals, I just note its presence.

Edit: @(#&*(!^@%! Spell Checker... GRRR!

Thanks Phyl for that info!

I actually have hed better luck with algea issues when using tap water. For some reason, using RO bottled water was causing a huge outbreak. I know at least 5 people off the top of my head that are maintaining beautiful reefs using tap water. Strange how every city has different water qualities and standards!

SJS

Back
Top Bottom