Water system flush

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

libertybelle

Aquarium Advice Addict
Dang it I got caught by it again. Once before, a few years ago, my tank got almost entirely wiped out by chlorine poisoning due to a water change unfortunately done during the water companies spring flush.( In which they add a crap ton more chlorine to the water temporarily.). And I just got hit by it again.

My tank had great water parameters and I should have let it be, but I had couple new cories with a bit of fin rot left from the store so I wanted to be **extra** sure they had clean water to help them heal. That worked out well...

Dosed my normal amount of safe pre-dissolved in water (which is already a bit of an overdose due to my previous experience...) and came back to fish gasping at the surface. Making the connection that ‘oh, crap... spring flush’. I immediately added a dose of liquid prime and an extra dose of safe (on the off chance one bottle had gone bad somehow.). Instant relief for the fish that were still hanging in there.

White skirts, tiger barbs, otos and panda cories are, so far, acting normal again. But I lost most or or all (can’t tell yet) of my huge school of rummy nose tetras. Some are still breathing but I expect to be pulling them out in the morning.

So if it’s spring where you are... check with your water company and don’t get caught like I did :(

I think this convinces me for sure. The second I own my own property and can do so.... RO system all the way. The local water company provides no warning... just an announcement that I found buried on their website afterwards... that sometime between March 22 and mid June there will be a flush. Thanks. Thanks a lot.

Back
Top Bottom