Water testing a FOWlR tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bousin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am need of a solid testing kit for my 55gal fowlr tank. Any recommendations on the brand? In addition what should I be testing for in a fowlr tank? Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi there
I found that salifert one of the best brands on the market as for what to test for I personally would go with These
Phos
Ph
Nitrate
Mag
Cal
Kh

If its just a fowlr tank than a simple API saltwater master kit will do. If you will do coral later on down the line then invest in a more expensive kit.

For fowlr, all you really have to test for are;

ph
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate

Thanks Scelzin I'll amazon it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If its just a fowlr tank than a simple API saltwater master kit will do. If you will do coral later on down the line then invest in a more expensive kit.

For fowlr, all you really have to test for are;

ph
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate

How could you possibly keep your water stable with just these four

I would add phosphate but for a fowlr you really don't need to test calcium/alk or mag as it isn't really being depleted.

Exactly. For fowlr tanks it isn't necessary to test for those other trace elements. They will be replaced by your bi weekly water changes.

If you plan on doing coral later on down the line you will need to test for those other elements.

For FOWLR, you can get away with those. Anything more, and move to Salifert and/or Hanna Checkers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom