Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaBoy5000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I cleaned my tank yesterday and now it's all cloudy I only my fish a little tiny bit why?

No I don't have a filter. What I did was pour the water and the rocks into a colonder then washed the rocks then cleaned the tank. It is a 3 pint tank.

Even on that small a tank you need a filter of some kind going to keep ammonia down. In fact it's even more important as it doesn't take long in that size tank for ammonia to build up to lethal levels. The cloudiness of the water is a bacterial bloom caused by bacteria consuming the ammonia. In a filtered tank this would go away on its own as the beneficial bacteria grows in the filter and consumes the ammonia, transforming it to nitrite then nitrate. As you haven't got a filter there is nowhere for the beneficial bacteria to grow and so this other bacteria will be dominant. It will go away on its own eventually, but you really need to get a filter in there as soon as you can.

Investing in a bigger tank would be the best thing. At least 5 gallons. I don't know of any filters small enough for a 3 pint bowl that wouldn't look bulky and out of place.

This is a 1/2 gallon bowl we're talking about. Its not feasible to even try and filter it in my opinion. Change the water every 5 days or so or upgrade to at least a 2.5 gallon tank and set up a tetra 3i internal filter.

Back
Top Bottom