Wave makers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Damarferg

Aquarium Advice Freak
Should I keep my powerheads on all day even in the night or turn them off

Should I keep my powerheads on all day even in the night or turn them off

Mine stay on 24/7 if you want and have the ability to, you can cut back some on flow and run them 60% power at night then 100% during the day. But I would not cut them off completely

I have my powerheads on my 125g go off at night, I have a controller so its easy. :)

On my other tanks though I keep them running 24/7. As long as you have some water movement say from the return or filter you can have them shut down at night if you like

I have a wave maker and a power head. Both stay on during the day. At night my power head stays on and my wave maker turns off almost completely. It still moves the water at the top but not too much. When I had two power heads and no wave maker they stayed on all the time.

I have a wave maker and a power head. Both stay on during the day. At night my power head stays on and my wave maker turns off almost completely. It still moves the water at the top but not too much. When I had two power heads and no wave maker they stayed on all the time.

Do all of you guys point your powerheads toward the surface

Do all of you guys point your powerheads toward the surface

They create more surface agitation by being pointed at the surface. You can point em at the surface if you would like but if you want more flow then face them towards each other. This will create a better turbulent flow and cause surface agitation

I have mine aimed slightly upwards and towards the front glass. Gets a nice chaotic flow this way and keeps the gas exchange going. :)
This is how I always tell people to start when adjusting their powerheads and to go from there.

I turn off all pumps only during feeding. Aside from that they all run 24/7. You need more oxygen at night and that is the reason why sump with macro algae have lights at night. This is to provide more regulation to your PH (power of hydrogen).

Back
Top Bottom