Weird creature in tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JadeandScott

Aquarium Advice Activist
We have just found a snail like creature in our tank! I've tried to take a pic but it's far too tiny!

We added a plant about 3 days ago? Could this have anything to do with it?

Any ideas?

Usually the main thing hitchhiking on plants are snails pr snail eggs. They aren't bad and have almost no impact on your bio-load its just to sone people unsightly. When you see them you can squish them or just leave them.

Personally would remove it ASAP.

Snails can breed exponentially if you overfeed and unless you have loaches in your tank you'll have fun keeping them under control.

JadeandScott said:
Oh ok.. It's so tiny I'm not sure how we would find it again!

Loaches do good with eating snails, shrimp I've heard will eat snail eggs, & there is a snail called an assassin snail, that will eat the snails that hitch hike in.. My dad had a 55 gallon tank that he put anachris in & a week later.. Covered with those little annoying pond snails.. & I could be wrong.. But I heard squishing them against the tank only released the snail eggs, thus creating more snails? That is the main reason I'm not crazy about planted tanks.. :p

Just looked and there's another one... Are they going to take over the tank and what's the best way to get rid of them? I've read that they can be hard work to get rid of!

JadeandScott said:
Just looked and there's another one... Are they going to take over the tank and what's the best way to get rid of them? I've read that they can be hard work to get rid of!

If they have enough food they could get pretty close to taking over.. I heard loaches do good, Assassain snails do good, even the yo-yo botia(I think that's it) I've heard how people yo-yo enjoy eating them.. Other than that.. That's all I know..

If you dont mind a snail now and then, and you feed only enough for your fish. Then you dont beed to worry about them. The dont do enough to become a problem by themselves, but if you over feed you will get a population boom out of them.

Don't let some of these ppl scare you, one teeny tiny snail is perfectly fine. Plus, when it starts breeding (they're asexual) you can always just get rid of them as you need to.
Snails are pretty cool in my opinion!

Smcoyle87 said:
Don't let some of these ppl scare you, one teeny tiny snail is perfectly fine. Plus, when it starts breeding (they're asexual) you can always just get rid of them as you need to.
Snails are pretty cool in my opinion!

I'm not trying to scare him.. I'm just saying what happened in my dads tank.. I personally hate snails & one snail is too much for me..

Her* lol
I quite like them, they're fascinating to watch haha I think I'll leave them and if there's too many just get rid of a few :)

Back
Top Bottom