What are these?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coleallensmom

Planted Tank Enthusiast
Eggs I assume? Tank inhabitants listed under "my tanks"...

img_1191223_0_19af4666ef504163864a3b0ab6286575.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I had some baby pond snails hatch out into my tank a few weeks ago after hitching a ride in on the some new plants and I pulled all that I saw out and squished them, but apparently I missed some if there are more eggs. I'm going to have to give the tank a good look over again I guess!

If it's small and kept in a jelly-like substance, it's bloody snail eggs. I always take them out when I see them because the little guys totally dominate your tank if you're not careful. That alone increases bio-demand etc.

It'll be tough to eliminate all the snails. An assassin snail is a neat addition to the tank and will help with your problem.

Jim,

My LFS has an assassin snail but it seems to ignore other particular kinds of snails in that tank. Are there kinds which it ignores?

Assassin snails aren't wanton killers. They only hunt down a snail when they're hungry. They also eat other meaty foods. Look for empty snail shells in the tank.

My assassins eat MTS, ramshorns, and bladder snails. I've actually had to move snails to tanks without assassins to make sure I have a sustained population for the assassins.

So far I haven't seen a whole lot in the tank and will continue to remove what I see but if it becomes an issue, I'll keep the assassin snail in mind. They'll leave my nerites alone?

Great post, I'm having the same trouble as well. Some pond snails got in my tank from plants from my LFS. I have seen about 5 already. Will they keep multiplying or can I leave them be?

Back
Top Bottom