What could be gnawing on my starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chirp

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a marble sea star in my tank and I just noticed that there were some bite marks on one of its arms. The other residents of my tank are:
1. Midas blenny
2. False clown
3. Pygmy dwarf angelfish
4. Royal gramma
5. Yasha goby
6. Mini pistol shrimp
7. Fire shrimp
8. Some hermit crabs
9. Some snails

Also a couples days prior, I saw that one of its arms was underneath its body. Do you think it's possible that the sea star gnawed on itself?

Chirp said:
I have a marble sea star in my tank and I just noticed that there were some bite marks on one of its arms. The other residents of my tank are:
1. Midas blenny
2. False clown
3. Pygmy dwarf angelfish
4. Royal gramma
5. Yasha goby
6. Mini pistol shrimp
7. Fire shrimp
8. Some hermit crabs
9. Some snails

Also a couples days prior, I saw that one of its arms was underneath its body. Do you think it's possible that the sea star gnawed on itself?

Could have been a shrimp maybe a crab. The same happened to my sand sifting star. He had a small piece of one of his arms missing its slowly growing back though. I suspect my cleaner shrimp. He was attacking one of my snails recently. Just keep an eye out for one of the inverts. And keep them well fed for sure.

I confused deterioration for bite marks at the beginning. Can you post a pic?

I confused deterioration for bite marks at the beginning. Can you post a pic?

57282-albums9053-picture42409.jpg

It's the arm on the left side. It doesn't look like it's deteriorating. It looks like chunks have been bitten off. Any idea who might have done it?
57282-albums9053-picture42409.html

I had a sand sifting star and my tiger pistol destroyed it! I would watch it pick it up and snap at its legs... I reckon its your pistol matey.

Back
Top Bottom