what do i need to know about angels to keep them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They do best with room to move. Planted tanks are nice. 55g + is nice. Once you have a mated pair you may need to move other Angels out.
They have personalities and like many Cichlids they will hand feed and beg for food.

well if mines any indication just hold the food and stick it in LOL its a greedy little bugger

I think they're great fish to have. I love their personalities. They will recognize you after awhile. I have a 55 gallon with 5 in there.

I'd say just watch for fin nippers. I personally think currents won't affect them all that much. I've got a bubbler stretching across the back on top of a filter.

They are actually really easy to take care of, whenever I open the lid of my tank they swim up to the top because they know its feeding time

Angels do best in planted tanks and ones that have the line of sight in the tank broken up. What size tank are you wanting to add them to and how many? They are fine with some current as long as your not blowing them across the tank. I have a lot of water movement and fairly strong current in my 220g angel tank and they do fine. It is also possible to keep more than one mated pair in a tank as long as the tank is large enough. In a larger tank when at least 6 angels are kept together aggression is spread out though the group and no one individual is constantly harassed. I keep 12 angels.

There South American Cichlids from the Amazon Region, there smart but can be aggressive, dont keep with small fish (neon tetra) keep in small aquariums are plant safe, very easy to breed, needs a 30 gallon tank

I have one in a 45 tall with high current, it shares the tank with 2 black skirt tetras and 7 or 8 harlequin rasboras...they all get along and are greedy little buggers. I'm hoping to find him a gf or two soon.

One thing, if you already have an angel that has a body size larger than a nickel you could have trouble adding another angel or two. What you might have to do is remove the older angel, rearrange your tank, add the new angel/s, then re-add the old angel. This often confuses the older angel making it think it's in a new tank and doesn't have a territory already. It may or may not work.

yeah...its a about a 50cent piece now..the local petstore sometimes carries them that size...I can always grow out a smaller one in another tank for a bit to even them out a little. More likely to try and pull him out, put the new ones in and re-add him a few weeks down the road after the new ones settle in

Back
Top Bottom