What foods are really good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stacey W.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I feed a variety of foods to my 6 panda corydora, 1 oto, 1 keyhole cichlid, 2 honey gourami, 2 yoyo loaches, 1 angelicus botia loach, and 2 black phantom tetras . Such as hikari sinking wafers, omega super carnivore, and hikari algae wafers. Just asking for opinions and/or advice.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use a food called New Life Spectrum. It's a pellet style food. Fish really love it and I think it keeps the mess down in my tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Sounds like you are using two of the three better fish foods on the market. Radmax mentioned another one of the brands that are really good called new life spectrum which is what i use in conjunction with a lot of freeze dried Australian blackworm which my fish enjoy. My LFS doesn't supply Hikari or Omega one.

You can also supplement with frozen foods such as frozen bloodworm, Brine shrimp, tubifex worms, white mosquito larva and many other frozen foods. I also give blanched frozen peas either weekly or twice a week as it's an aid to digestion. They enjoy corn as well. Blanched vegetables are basicallly just dipped in boiling water for long enough to defrost without softening them too much. I try to also give other blanched vegetables like Broccoli and the occasional bit of carrot to my pleco's as they get fibre from them and they seem to go nuts for blanched vege's.

Sounds like you are using two of the three better fish foods on the market. Radmax mentioned another one of the brands that are really good called new life spectrum which is what i use in conjunction with a lot of freeze dried Australian blackworm which my fish enjoy. My LFS doesn't supply Hikari or Omega one.

You can also supplement with frozen foods such as frozen bloodworm, Brine shrimp, tubifex worms, white mosquito larva and many other frozen foods. I also give blanched frozen peas either weekly or twice a week as it's an aid to digestion. They enjoy corn as well. Blanched vegetables are basicallly just dipped in boiling water for long enough to defrost without softening them too much. I try to also give other blanched vegetables like Broccoli and the occasional bit of carrot to my pleco's as they get fibre from them and they seem to go nuts for blanched vege's.

The Omega super carnivore (frozen food) is really super. It contains mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, and bloodworms. But my corys and really don't like any veggies. They love the algae wafers and anything else. They are like a bunch of goats lol.

My biggest piece of advice is if you use frozen use Hikari or Omega One. I've had problems with San Francisco Bay (sally's) brand.

My biggest piece of advice is if you use frozen use Hikari or Omega One. I've had problems with San Francisco Bay (sally's) brand.

I was using that for awhile it has too many preservatives. But I like that they have a veggie diet that I used occasionally. Even when I cut it up to thaw it out it seemed "cheap". I know that sounds odd, but I am slightly odd myself.:D

Back
Top Bottom