What is causing my ammonia spike?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hholly

Aquarium Advice Addict
As some of you know, I have been battling ich. The day before yesterday I changed out 50% of the water and aggressively siphoned the gravel in an attempt to get rid of some of the nasties. I also, for the first time since my tank was cycled, rinsed one of the two filter cartridges in clean, untreated well water, like i use in the tank. It wasn't clogged. But i figured some of the ich nasties would be in the filter too. I was afraid to rinse both cartridges at once though. That night, my male swordtail succumbed to the ich(I assume). I didn't find his body until the next afternoon, at which time I removed it. The body was still intact. Today, for the first time since cycling the tank, test showed .25ppm ammonia.

Just wondering if it was the swordtail dying/rotting or having rinsed half of my filter media? Any expert guesses?

Thanks all!

Hholly said:
As some of you know, I have been battling ich. The day before yesterday I changed out 50% of the water and aggressively siphoned the gravel in an attempt to get rid of some of the nasties. I also, for the first time since my tank was cycled, rinsed one of the two filter cartridges in clean, untreated well water, like i use in the tank. It wasn't clogged. But i figured some of the ich nasties would be in the filter too. I was afraid to rinse both cartridges at once though. That night, my male swordtail succumbed to the ich(I assume). I didn't find his body until the next afternoon, at which time I removed it. The body was still intact. Today, for the first time since cycling the tank, test showed .25ppm ammonia.

Just wondering if it was the swordtail dying/rotting or having rinsed half of my filter media? Any expert guesses?

Thanks all!

My guess is a combination of the two, cleaning and the deceased fish. A PWC will help. :)

ejaramillo01 said:
Agree.
Plus you mentioned that your tank or filter has a second cartridge that was not rinsed correct?

Yes. I was afraid to rinse both at once.

Back
Top Bottom