What is the best fish for youngsters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xATLxBRAVESx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey friends, i was thinking about getting a small tank for my little one. Its going to be a 2.5g tank probably. What fish do you guys recomend to put in there, that are colorful but hardy?? Thanks

I wouldn't agree.. Alot of people say Goldfish are easy to look after infact they ain't. Goldfish produces alot of waste therefore Regular water changes are required. And fancy goldfish would last long at all if their diet ain't right. ( taking in too much air while eating floating pellets can cause them to lose their balance).

i would reccommend getting a pair of tropical fish suk as platies or swordtails.

lol.feed them flakes then. whatever fish you put in a tank and overfeed will foul the tank. they are resilient to neglect more than other fish. goldfish produce the same waste as the next fish. how can any fish produce more waste? feed it X amount, and it will poop X amount.

Guppies!! Especially males, cause they have really nice colors. They don't get larger than 2in. So they're really good for your smaller tank.

1. Don't get a 2.5g. It's really too small for fish. Get a 10g. It's easier to maintain good water quality in a larger tank and it opens up your fish selection a lot. Go larger than a 10g if you can.

2. Don't get goldfish. Their digestive systems aren't very efficient, so more food goes out as waste. Fancy goldfish need a minimum of a 30g for the first fish and at least 10g more per additional fish.

3. Male guppies are bright, hardy, and small. Male cherry barbs are a nice blood red, but I've heard some people have problems with them nipping.

+1 to everything Big Jim said. I can not imagine keeping even a single goldfish in anything smaller than a 10 gallon. Even a 10 gallon with a goldfish will not do the job for long. Especially if the original poster is new to fish keeping?

Maybe a betta, if a 2.5 gallon is your only choice? Still, tough to do.

Sorry Mr.X a 2.5g is WAY to small for a goldfish.

Buy a 10g and put some guppies in there. Its fun to watch them get prego and give birth.

what about goldfish bowls? they are barely a gallon. my brother kept a goldfish for many years in one, with very occasional, untreated tap water changes.

what about goldfish bowls? they are barely a gallon. my brother kept a goldfish for many years in one, with very occasional, untreated tap water changes.

They are a joke. Goldfish are a member of the carp family and grow to 6"-12". Would you put a tang in a 1 gallon tank?

tangs are free swimmers. water column swimmers that stress in small containers. goldfish are not and do not. i don't see the correlation.

Small containers will stress any fish. A goldfish that will reach 12" and housed in a 1 gallon bowl will be stressed. Yes the are hardy, im not disputing that, their quality of life will be limited. Keeping a large fish in a small tank is not healthy. It will stunt their growth and lead to stress related illness.

That's a testament to the hardiness of goldfish. Keeping them in a bowl is not proper husbandry. It stunts their growth and shortens their lives. Properly housed and cared for, goldfish can live for decades. Keeping a goldfish alive for a few years is not a success. Betta bowls are much the same.

and that was the original question. a hardy fish for a kid. easy to take care of.
i don't think it was a few years. i think it was 8.
ok...point taken.

Back
Top Bottom