What is the BEST live rock??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Driller31

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Today I lucked out & found a 30gal. Octagon tank at a garage sale today for $40. Come home to set it up...Bought 20lbs. live Fiji sand, a 200GPH Marineland filter...I really want to get the BEST live rock available, I am guessing like 30lbs. or so...I want to go with a Seahorse tank, but really havn't made up my mind yet...But my Q is what is THE best live rock??? Also would I maybe need one of those Koralia Nano Powerheads, to help with the flow?? I also noticed that the light it came with really doesnt put out much lighting, is there an alternative light that is way better than the small one I have???

The best rock will be large and light. This would indicate alot of holes in the rock and thus be able to hold more bacteria. I have some fiji rock and it seems alright. Live rock will cost you quite a bit of money, so I would suggest a combo of dry live rock (much cheaper) and live rock.

Youll need to consider what you plan on having in the tank aside from the seahorses when considering lighting. If you have the money, id go with a nice T-5 setup since youll crave corals down the road.

Get a koralia powerhead or two. They are nice!

Make sure to ask lots of questions on this site before adding live stock! Youll be very happy you did! For instance, youll be sad to know that the live sand you bought, which no doubt cost you some $$$, is waste. Its likely not alive, and if it is, it probably has a lot of junk in it that will fowl the water. Regular dry aragonite sand is much cheaper and nearly the same stuff. Dont buy any more of it ;-)

Matt

Thanks for the info, I have an established 55gal.. and yes this forum has graetly helped me with issues...I went with Fiji live rock, some Branch rock, Plate rock, and dry rock with the other setup...I was wanting some really nice live rock other than the Fiji, everyone has that stuff!!!

Back
Top Bottom