What is your method for QT'ing new fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think I made it too risky or something. I was doing a 20 gallon. I would by 2 different kinds of fish (which meant two different stocks at the store) and put them in the QT. If they showed no issues after 2 weeks I would move them in. I figure the most dangerous stuff is fast acting and things like calamanus worms are past the QT period 6-8 weeks (?).

I'm changing to a 10 gallon (biggest fish so far has been red eye tetras. I will probably QT Bosemani Rainbows at some point but they should get no bigger).

I am unsure if 10 gallons is big enough.

I wanted to get ideas.

Thanks!

Your size qt depends on the size of your fish. Bigger fish need bigger tanks. In respect to the time a fish spends in qt, I feel 4wks is the absolute bare minimum but I have kept a fish in qt as long as 3mths before. Most diseases are not 'fast acting' and many will not even be obvious until the 3-4wk frame of time. With alot of the problems you have been having with your fish, I honestly would take your time qt'ing anyone new. :)

I agree. I was doing 4-6 weeks with the Black Neon disaster and they ended up in there a LONG time. Then back in QT again after that.

Lately these fish seem to be doing ok for the most part BUT my tanks seem to have been weird with water parameters even my established 75 is showing no nitrates at the moment but 0 ammonia and nitrites which is scary. It has one plant so I am sure that isn't making it perfectly balanced.

Before anything else happens I need to get my parameters stable and make sure whatever tank I use is cycled. (working on that now)

I will definitely increase it back up to 4 weeks minimum.

Thanks.

Thats a bit odd with tank numbers. Your ph is staying stable? Are you positive your nitrate/other tests are still good (not expired) and they havent been exposed to excess heat or sun? You could always take some tank samples (prior to a wc) to your lfs to have them double check your numbers. I know most use strips but it would atleast give you a ballpark idea if something is amiss with your tests. Just a thought! :)

Yup today is about testing my tanks and testing my tests. Hopefully I will see nitrates otherwise I dunno what I will do aside from cry. Fingers crossed!

Quick noob question....how do you keep you qt tank active?

Let's say you cycle it when you initially set it up because your setting up a new aquarium and know you will be needing to add fish. You qt new fish for the tank but then you don't add any new fish for 6 months. What happens to the tank?

If you need to cycle after any period of inactivity then I imagine it takes a lot of preplanning and discipline when getting new fish.

New to the hobby so curious.

Quick noob question....how do you keep you qt tank active?

Let's say you cycle it when you initially set it up because your setting up a new aquarium and know you will be needing to add fish. You qt new fish for the tank but then you don't add any new fish for 6 months. What happens to the tank?

If you need to cycle after any period of inactivity then I imagine it takes a lot of preplanning and discipline when getting new fish.

New to the hobby so curious.

Two choices: you can either setup a qt as needed for new fish & run the filter for it on your main tank to keep it cycled or you can dose ammonia regularly to keep a qt cycled. You just have to be careful moving the filter back to your main tank if you choose this option- this doesnt work in all situations because of disease issues and it may need to be disinfected prior to using it again. Hope this helps!

jlk said:
Two choices: you can either setup a qt as needed for new fish & run the filter for it on your main tank to keep it cycled or you can dose ammonia regularly to keep a qt cycled. You just have to be careful moving the filter back to your main tank if you choose this option- this doesnt work in all situations because of disease issues and it may need to be disinfected prior to using it again. Hope this helps!

Thanks! :)

Jlk Has good points.

I had been using media from my main tank. But I used some from my main tank this time that just didn't work for some reason. Also if your QT has sick fish the media might as well be trashed.

Regardless of whatever issue I gave going on during stocking I will be dosing with ammonia.

For ISO or replacing dish that may have passed I'll play it by ear.

Just make sure your QT tank is cycled as well. It caused me lots of problems this time when it crashed AFTER my purchase :/

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom