What kind of ANEMONE??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JacksonJigsaw

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay so i thought i had see something slowly growing in the middle of my zoas.(did NOT seem to harm them. after fraging the group to one side of this "anemone" it moved to the bottom of the shell out of direct light.

SO, a light brown base, round, with a single mouth in the center. clear colored tentacles coming out the top, but not hindreds, about 20ish... with light purple dots on the end of each. It slightly reminds me of a Haitian anenome.

anyways, it dosent look like any sort of aiptasia from the pictures ive seen. any ideas would be great.

attached is the original picture, and two edited to get the clearest veiw.

img_1972677_0_91123cefdd54f22c2051a1cb1339c35d.jpg

Nice ID, thankyou. Online everyone had a diffrent experience with them... Anybody have problems with them?? Didn't seem to bother my zoas and it was right against 5 of them

I've never had a problem with the ones in my tank, but I guess it would depend what they are up against. They are an anemone, and I would imagine, have the ability to sting if necessary. Some things can handle a sting better than others.

Thanks, I checked the tank of the lfs I got the coral from and he had a few here and there in his tank and none of the corals seemed to be negatively affected.hopefully they stay small, happy, and out of trouble.

I've never seen them get much larger than in your pic. Mine always seem to be where light is really dim too, under overhangs and such. I'm curious what it will do in the light! It might crawl underneath that shell.

Back
Top Bottom