What level of nitrates is safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PJFISH

Aquarium Advice Freak
What's everyone take on nitrate levels in planted aquariums? At what number do u freak out?

Depends on your total amount of plants and what species of fish you have in the tank.
I've found that both my low tech, med light and my hi tech, hi light tanks' plants do best if I keep the NO3 at least 10ppm. But for the fish, I keep the NO3 below 30ppm except my GBR tank which I don't let get above 20ppm. OS.

Well personally I don't like to see above 20 since I have some sensitive fish. But I do keep it around 10 for my plants.
And in any tank I would not want to see over 40. Your nitrates should never get that high if you have enough plants.

Edit: OS and I posting at the same time :p

Well personally I don't like to see above 20 since I have some sensitive fish. But I do keep it around 10 for my plants.
And in any tank I would not want to see over 40. Your nitrates should never get that high if you have enough plants.

Edit: OS and I posting at the same time :p

That's what I was afraid of...think my reading is approaching 40. The color in the tube is kinda hard to read between the light to mid to darker orange colors. Not sure why, nothing's changes except adding co2 system?

Are you saying they were stable before and now going up? You said nothing changed but didn't mention the state that you are comparing your new results to. What's the problem you are experiencing?

Are you saying they were stable before and now going up? You said nothing changed but didn't mention the state that you are comparing your new results to. What's the problem you are experiencing?

Sorry should if mentioned that, my ph was usually around 6.4. Now it's reading about 6.0.

I don't like it over 40 but I have common hardy fish and if it goes over I'm not too stressed (just bigger pwc).

Back
Top Bottom