What to do about this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikem691

Aquarium Advice Addict
Sorry its blurry. I had to zoom in on the phone because if I get close to the tank his attention turns to me. Being summer I'm thinking of just pulling the heater completely. Any suggestions??

I woke up to a nasty burning plastic smell as one of my Oscars pushed the darn heater out of the tank! Thankfully it didn't start a fire when the heater exploded! Ah the joys of large fish, lol!

attachment.php

I have made many DIY heater covers out of PVC pipe with lots of holes drilled to allow heat dissipation. They also make these, I have something like this at home if you tell me the dimensions of your heater if it fits you can have it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-8-5-inch...ard-Protector-with-Suction-Cups-/390955144187

Last edited:
That heater has not come on in a while and the tank seems to stay around 77. being a mix of central's I think he will be ok till it gets cold again. Then Ill just get a canister and inline for him. Think that will be ok?

2 things... he's a jerk and your dw looks like ET's face.. I'd look into something like HUKIT recommended.. maybe put something in there he can bulldoze around?? Like a piece of pvc all sanded down..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

2 things... he's a jerk and your dw looks like ET's face.. I'd look into something like HUKIT recommended.. maybe put something in there he can bulldoze around?? Like a piece of pvc all sanded down..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

LOL Never noticed that. He spun that around because the holes that look like the eyes use to face the back.

This made me laugh. I would pull it out until you need it if temps stay in range. Give him a ping pong ball or something to play with, or a wiffle ball.

Jesse

I woke up to a nasty burning plastic smell as one of my Oscars pushed the darn heater out of the tank! Thankfully it didn't start a fire when the heater exploded! Ah the joys of large fish, lol!

attachment.php

I have made many DIY heater covers out of PVC pipe with lots of holes drilled to allow heat dissipation. They also make these, I have something like this at home if you tell me the dimensions of your heater if it fits you can have it.

2X 8 5" inch Aquarium Fish Tank Heater Cover Guard Protector with Suction Cups | eBay

Its a simple aqueon 50w heater. 10" long with out the knob 10 3/4 with it.

Thanks. I took it out last night and checked temp this morning. Still holding at 77.5 so no hurry on me putting it back in.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey by the way. How are the Lyonsi doing??

No idea? I'm kidding, I replaced the PFS last weekend with Caribsea's sunset gold which looks fantastic but I'm going through a huge bacterial bloom so it's super milky:banghead:. I can already see some size and coloration improvement over the last couple weeks, once it settle's I'll do a thread.

Last edited:
They will color up way more than mine did most likely being in a group.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No idea? I'm kidding, I replaced the PFS last weekend with Caribsea's sunset gold which looks fantastic but I'm going through a huge bacterial bloom so it's super milky:banghead:. I can already see some size and coloration improvement over the last couple weeks, once it settle's I'll do a thread.

Well as of this morning I'm done with sand with substrate spitting cichlids. Tired of waking up to stalled out impellers and sand filled filters. Guess I'm going to change to pea gravel.

Well as of this morning I'm done with sand with substrate spitting cichlids. Tired of waking up to stalled out impellers and sand filled filters. Guess I'm going to change to pea gravel.

I have a peacock that covers the java moss carpet and rock work with sand. I blow it off daily with a turkey baster and it's covered the next morning lol

Jesse

Back
Top Bottom