What veggies can you feed your fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CherryBarb123

Aquarium Advice Freak
For a general community, are there any good veggies to feed them. I feed cucumber and zuichinni for my ottos, but I have seen potatoes and broccoli being fed to community fish. How do you go about preparing potatoes? How do you/can you feed brocoli?

For a general community, are there any good veggies to feed them. I feed cucumber and zuichinni for my ottos, but I have seen potatoes and broccoli being fed to community fish. How do you go about preparing potatoes? How do you/can you feed brocoli?

Not sure about broccili or potatoes but mine love cucumber or shelled peas :)

Thanks! My bolivians in particular seem to have a thing for cucumber :D

I dont keep tropicals but I dont see why you cant try some of the same stuff I feed my goldies. Skip the potatoes (and corn)- they are very heavy on starches & not good for fish in general. Also skip spicy stuff such as onions or hot peppers. Any fresh/frozen cooked veggie pretty much is game (canned stuff has too much salt)- broccoli florets, cauliflower, zucchini, deshelled peas, aspargus heads, spinach, carrots, peppers, kale, turnip greens etc. I use a garlic press to crush tougher stuff such as carrots or peppers into bite-sized bits. Have fun experimenting with veggies! :)

So....if I was to feed carrot, would I just need to boil it for a couple of minutes and then put it in the tank? It'd be kinda hard to make carrot small enough to fit in rummy or honey gourami mouths!!

Thanks

I use a garlic press. If you dont have one, you can pick up one at walmart/any chain store for a few bucks. You put the piece of carrot in it & squeeze! Nice little tiny bite-sized bits come out. One slice of carrot is enough to feed a whole tank & then some! :)

I feed mine fresh cucumbers, zucchini, shelled peas, fresh spinach

Our koi get orange slices. We had a few articles that koi need the vitamin c and love oranges.

Back
Top Bottom