whats a copper test for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropicfishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
why would you test for copper in your FW tank? is it for live plants? myabe for residue left by copper treatments? thanks guys and gals

Well if you've got shrimp that are acting funny, or crayfish that are behaving out of character etc. You may want to check copper levels.

so its not for plants or anything like that? its just a compound that can be in your water supply that can harm your inverts?

No: there's the argument that too much copper in the water can kill plants (see this topic but I've seen no evidence of that (except I agree too much would have to be enough to kill whatever was in there never mind the plants). Copper is often used (in a copper sulphate wash) to clean plants before sale in the LFS or dispatch online if you buy via a vendor. It'll get rid of any nasties and unwanted guests on arrival (e.g. snails).
I mentioned in that other thread that: "copper is specifically a micronutrient which plants need (along with seven others such as iron and zinc etc.)..."

The main concern with copper is inverts: the two do not mix at all!

A copper test kit is also used, or should be used, when using a product such as coppersafe to treat ich.

gotcha, I didn't know they used copper solutions to bath the plants to rid of any hitch hikers. I didn't know you could treat Ick with copper either, is it more effective than your average " Ick away " meds?

General concensus on here is that only heat will rid a tank of Ich. Things like salt, meds, copper can help aid in the eradication of the Ich, but only heat can consistently kill all forms (by increasing metabolism so they get to the free-swimming form that makes them susceptable to dehydration from the heat/salt).

I've had it 2 times, both times it was quickly killed solely by raising the tank temp to >87F. At the time I didn't know about the salt (and had plants so it wouldn't have been used anyway), but for people without plants I would probably suggest GRADUALLY adding in some to help dehydrate the Ich faster than heat alone.

Back
Top Bottom