Whats so good about t5 ho

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jawaits

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am running a 10$ wallowed fixture right now with Marine glo 40 wat and a life glo 40 wat on a 10 gallon fresh( it has a 18 wat as well) and on a 20 high sw tank can it work?

depends on what you;d like tokeep in the sw tank. you'd be limited as far as corals are concerned in my opinion.

They are more compact thus being able to fit more in a fixture. For instance a t12 bulb produces way more par then a t5 Ho bulb but the size is so huge that it is redundant. For corals I would suggest a 4 bulb t5 Ho fixture or 3 t8 bulbs that are Ho or overdriven. Another option is a 150 watt metal halide light.

What about LEDs are they better for coral growth?

Led's are tricky and expensive. For instance the marineland reef ready led's arent very good but you'd have to do a lot of research on the ones you were buying tomake sure enough light is actually being given off. they are super pretty and make a nice shimmer on your water but again there are soo many out there picking the right one requires alot of searching in my opinion.

They can be but you have to do allot of research first. There are alot of bad LEDs out there. For starting off I would stick with metal halide or t5/t8.

Back
Top Bottom