What's this growing out of my driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Avidon

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys. I've been away from home for a little while and when I got back to the tank I noticed that there are these white things that seem to be sprouting out of the pores in my driftwood. The wood's been in there for over a year so I don't think it's resin that's just now seeping out. I'm thinking it could be some kind of snail egg or maybe some weird fungus. Any ideas on what it might be or wether it's dangerous? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407135131.406907.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407135145.668648.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407135204.489002.jpg

Looks like nerite snail eggs. Harmless. Free fish food. Won't hatch unless the water is brackish.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It looks like the snail in the last picture just laid that line. Yes those are nerite snail eggs. As was stated, unless you have salt in your water you won't have anything hatch. When I first got my pair, they laid eggs all over the place. Now they only lay occasionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How brackish does the water have to be for them to hatch?

1.010 - 1.015 is the regular salt level of a brackish tank I believe. Far too high for fresh water fish and plants. It's nearly impossible to breed them unless you have a specific setup just for them.

1.010 - 1.015 is the regular salt level of a brackish tank I believe. Far too high for fresh water fish and plants. It's nearly impossible to breed them unless you have a specific setup just for them.

I dont even know if its possible to raise them. The hatch into a larval stage and need various levers of salt for them to grow.

I dont even know if its possible to raise them. The hatch into a larval stage and need various levers of salt for them to grow.

It is, but it's not easy. I was reading about it for a while when I was looking for something to breed.

Back
Top Bottom