Where do I buy water for a sw tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteelersFan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had planted freshwater tanks for years and now I want a real challenge. In freshwater, all you need to do is dechlorinate tap and put it in the tank. My understanding is that you need to use an r/o system for sw tanks. I decided to go for a 3g picotope tank for a big challenge and do not think it would be cost effective to buy an r/o system. Where do you buy r/o water or do they sell saltwater by the gallon??

Most fish stores will sell ro/di water as well as saltwater. :) Usually about 50 cents a gallon for the regular water and maybe a buck a gallon for the salted water.

My LFS sells for $1.00 and $1.50.

I have been using RO water for my FOWLR. I know that many people will argue that RODI is the only thing to use, but IMO, for FOWLR, the difference between close to zero TDS and .002-.004ppm is not that critical. I got my RO from a Glacier Water machine outside a gas station for 25 cents per gallon. I inherited a 2stage RO system with the 240g I am setting up, but have not tried that out.

Personally, I'd recommend buying RODI and mixing your own SW. Unfortunately, in my experience, many of the LFS's mix their SW at a lower salinity than most of like to use.... it's a way to stretch the amount of salt they use for a greater profit per gallon. Mixing your own is very easy in small quantities.... all you need is a small, cheapo power head and maybe a little 50w heater for a 5gal bucket. This allows you to use the salt you want, and mix it to the salinity you want to use.......

I know you want a challenge, but what is your end-goal with a 3g pico? With that small of a tank, you are pretty much limiting yourself to maybe a small invert or two and a couple of corals..... no fish. To my knowledge, there are no marine fish that are compatible with a 3g tank. Even the tiniest of commonly available marine fish..... something like a red-banded goby, require a minimum of a 10g tank. Personally, I'd go with something like a 20 long as your first tank..... plenty challenging enough, but opens up a much wider variety of livestock to choose from.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom