which fish grows faster and is meaner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarrett

Aquarium Advice Freak
i want to have a baby clown trigger or a baby picasso which one would grow slower?

they are both very cool and have lots of personality. A trigger can be like a dog. they can both get very mean when they get bigger. VERY VERY MEAN. I have seen them kill lionfish, eels and groupers that were just a little smaller than them. I will have one one day but it will be the smallest fish in the tank. I don't know about growth rate though

yea i only have a 50 gallon tank so im not looking to keep them forever im just looking to raise it from a baby to about 4 or 5 inches then im going to give them to my friend who has a 150 gallon tank i just want one who will be the nicest for atleast a year lol without bothering my other fish and yes i know these fish have a big bioload but i only have 2 other fish in the tank and i do alot of maintence on it so i dont expect a problem

Buying a fish to rely on someone else taking it when it gets too big doesn't sound too considerate in my ever so humble opinion.

Buying a fish to rely on someone else taking it when it gets too big doesn't sound too considerate in my ever so humble opinion.

If I may ask, why?

What makes it any different then people buying young fry from breeders, growing them, and selling them? Just about every LFS I know of does that.

why is that wrong lmao? im raising it from a baby on.. and then just transfering it to someone who has a big enough tank to hold it if you ask me thats the right thing to do not the wrong thing.

not to be rude or anything im just saying i disagree i take very good care of my fish, and want only the best for them and just in my eyes and as i can see joshs eyes lol im just doing what most other people do but to be quite honest im more then positive ill take bette care of the fish and transfering it then any LFS does. plus im sure what ever trigger i decide to take home he is going to be alot happier growing up in my tank with rock and other fish to grow up with compared to being crammed into a 30 gallon tank with 20 other clown baby triggers. which is exactly whats going on at my LFS

Well look at it this way. Those fish will take a few months to grow so all is fine and dandy. What if your buddy can't take it when its too big? Life happens and who knows what position you and your friend will be in then.

For instance, you have no idea how much I want a Tang for my Sw tank. I could get one now and then return him to a lfs I suppose but is that the best thing for the fish? To go from here and there to another place. I understand where you're coming from I do, but you have to look at the big picture.

Guess I had no idea you were a seller.

Guess it's just MY thing. People come and go. Friends change their minds. Just hoping that friend's tank will stiil be there and have room when your fish outgrows your tank.

Maybe since I've never bred fish to sell them, I couldn't envision what you see so easily. I buy fish to make a permanent home for them. If they shouldn't be in my tank at full grown size, I don't buy them. Again that's just my way of doing things and obviously your mileage may vary. :)

BTW, almost anybody can take care of a fish better than most lfs.

Last edited:
yup well considering my friend lives 2 houses down from me i dont think hes tank is going anywhere, and i think the transfer from my house to 20 steps down the block will be a breeze for the little guy. but thanks for the concern.

austinsdad said:
Guess I had no idea you were a seller.

Guess it's just MY thing. People come and go. Friends change their minds. Just hoping that friend's tank will stiil be there and have room when your fish outgrows your tank.

Maybe since I've never bred fish to sell them, I couldn't envision what you see so easily. I buy fish to make a permanent home for them. If they shouldn't be in my tank at full grown size, I don't buy them. Again that's just my way of doing things and obviously your mileage may vary. :)

BTW, almost anybody can take care of a fish better than most lfs.

Even if he wasn't a seller does the exchange of money change anything? I don't think so. If he gives it to someone who can provide it with a suitable home I don't see a problem. Simply allows more people to enjoy that fish and ensures its not staying in a cramped tank.

While I agree most fish stores don't take great care of their fish, one near me does. They truly are animal lovers and take really good care of their fish. www.aquaticcritter.com

They take any fish in that you can't keep, injured, or just don't want even if it won't end up profitable for them. They really care for their fish.

Also there is a really big local fish keeping community around my area. I've talked to two people on these forums alone that live within 15-30 minutes drive. I know that's not the case for everyone, but if is for him it would not be hard to find that fish a loving home once its grown up.

Back
Top Bottom