White flakey stuff on air tubing???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonkeyMonk86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My 29 gallon tank was stripped, cleaned, Cloroxed for 2 hrs 49 days ago, to remove snails. I am not using CO2 at the present time.

A week ago, my tank was fully cycled and when I was changing the water I found a white substance on the airline tubing to a sponge filter. ( Both were placed in new after the cloroxing ) Some of it flaked into the water. The rest i removed with paper towels. I only ran the lights 3 hr/day while cycling. I am using an Aquaclear 50 HOB with a sponge intake sock to prevent fish getting sucked into the filter.

I waited until the next day to add my 4 fish and airstone inside a Buddha head. I've been running the lights 6 hr/day and the tank is lightly planted.

Today, one week later, I found the white flaky gunk covering both air hoses. Some flaked off while doing a 33% PWC.

( Back stepping a few months. When I originally had many plants and natural CO2 setup. I would find white gunk on the Co2 tubing and a thick moving white gunk on the outlet where the Co2 joined the diffuser. I was using a Fluval U4 filter)

Weirdly, my pH always goes from 7.4 to 8 - 8.2 just in this tank.

Does anyone know what this white flakey stuff is?

Friend of Bill W.
One day at a time

If I were to venture a guess, I would say a bacterial film, same as coats the inside of filter hoses. unsightly but harmless.
but that's just my guess based on what you say

If its flakey rather than gooey id hazard a guess at it being mineral build up rather than bacterial. Still harmless either way.

If its flakey rather than gooey id hazard a guess at it being mineral build up rather than bacterial. Still harmless either way.

Agreed! I would check you GH and KH... I have that issue as well but I have extremely hard water.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you

Will do and post results of GH & KH

I touched it with my fingers today and it's slippery, but I wouldn't call it slimey.

BTW. Since my original post, I saw one danio likes to eat this stuff when it's floating in the water.

Friend of Bill W.
One day at a time

Thank you a hundred times over!!! That film must have been beneficial bacteria b/c I changed the water Saturday and today had close to .25 ammonia, which I would not have caught had you not asked for the KH & GH. So, I changed 2/3 water, 1/3 at a time. And, since I removed all the white from the tubing, I'll be testing daily again. I can't thank you enough for asking me to test for KH & GH!!!

KH is 6
GH is 9
pH is 8.2
Ammonia was .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

Friend of Bill W.
One day at a time

Back
Top Bottom