White patches - not ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's just so confusing about Gracie. I can't find anything on her milky white patches. Everything comes up as ich. And since it's on moving fins it's SO HARD to get a good picture. They've been on there for a couple weeks now at least, without it spreading, getting better or worse. No other fish has it or has gotten it. It's ONLY on her and her pectoral fins. I'm pretty sure they're not cysts since they're blotchy spots. Not white dots.

Attachments

• image-250141703.jpg
    image-250141703.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 44
it could be but i wouldnt take any chances go ahead and yes its safe. butttt i recomend u get some paraguard when u can

Okay I have no para guard but if Melafix doesn't treat it I will be sure to grab it ASAP!
Thank you for all the help!

It's columnaris.

Get something that will treat both gram negative and gram positive bacteria like furan 2, maracyn plus, kanaplex/kanamycin, etc. treat as directed
Lower the temp as low as is comfortable for your fish. Low 70's would be ideal but depends on stock.
Add as much aeration as possible
And Epsoms salt at 1tbs/5g If you don't have any scaleless fish.

Do at least 2 rounds of treatment or 1 round longer after you don't notice any more effected fish.

Columnaris is a nasty disease and is likely to kill off a lot of your stock. Most of the already effected fish will probably die but the ones that haven't been affected should survive if you treat as soon as possible

Tends to stem from poor/over stocking and water.

Ahhhh this explains why you are so strict about low parameters! You keep discus!

Most people on AA here will agree that when keeping tropical fish (not discus) 20 ppm is the highest it should be. Unlike discus, most tropical fish can adjust to a wide variety of pH, KH, etc.

Yes, my fish are FUSSY. Constant water changes. :)

How often do you change your water? I always increase my water changes when there is something "funny" in the tank. The fish usually perk up after a few daily water changes.

it's columnaris.

Get something that will treat both gram negative and gram positive bacteria like furan 2, maracyn plus, kanaplex/kanamycin, etc. Treat as directed
lower the temp as low as is comfortable for your fish. Low 70's would be ideal but depends on stock.
Add as much aeration as possible
and epsoms salt at 1tbs/5g if you don't have any scaleless fish.

Do at least 2 rounds of treatment or 1 round longer after you don't notice any more effected fish.

Columnaris is a nasty disease and is likely to kill off a lot of your stock. Most of the already effected fish will probably die but the ones that haven't been affected should survive if you treat as soon as possible

tends to stem from poor/over stocking and water.

oh my god no please no!!! Please no i have been waiting 6 months for pairing angels and those angels are my babies!!! Please no!!! Please is there anything i can do??

It may be columnaris - I didn't want to freak you out. If it is, your fish should be dead in a week, not weeks.

Please take the oscar out into the 10 G whether it's cycled or not does not matter. Change the water out of the 10G 50% a day to keep the ammonia down. It will be fine.

Increase the water changes in the angel tank to every other day. Vacuum the substrate well, rinse out your filter media with a bucket of tank water, wipe down the sides of your filter.

I agree with Oo, that lowering the temps to to 77 or even 76, if angels can take that temp.

I would never recommend using antibiotic in the display tank; however, it's your choice. You could pick up a 20 gallon, put all your angels in there with a sponge filter, heater, and airstone; change out water 50% a day, redose antibiotics. Treat for 10 days to ensure that the bacteria is killed. Some recommend only 7 days, but IMO, you could be letting some survive and thereby creating a new super bacteria. :(

There is one other option, but it's risky; I prefer it over antibiotics for columnaris, fungus and other surface infections and parasites. It's a potassium permanganate bath.

Treat as directed and try to lower your stocking level ASAP and that should hopefully help.

Please don't return/sell any fish before you have everything treated though or else you'll just spread more disease to other people's tanks. (sorry if you didn't intend on doing this, but you would be surprised at the amount of people that do this, it's kind of ridiculous...which is also why you should ALWAYS QUARANTINE)

Back
Top Bottom