White stringy poop from black moor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryukins

Aquarium Advice Activist
Recently I started feeding my goldfish dried frozen shrimps mixed with their regular food. I noticed that the black moor is now pooping very thin white strands. Is there anything wrong with him? Water conditions are normal and he is swimming fine otherwise.

The freeze dried foods may be creating some degree of blockage as they swell when they rehydrate. Feed solely just veggies for the next 2-3 days (lots and lots of them) and see if there's any improvement. If not, you can try an epsom salt bath.

If you want to offer them shrimp, buy the small/medium fresh human grade shrimp. Cook a few and freeze the rest in small batches to use as needed. Tear tiny bits off to feed. There's no risk of bloating or blockage with fresh stuff and it's easier for them to digest. Keep us posted!

Ok i will switch to veggies for a bit. Afterwards, should small bits of shrimp be fed at every meal or should it only be fed once in a while. The shrimp have a lot of protein from my understanding and this would promote wen growth and growth in general?

Shrimp do have a lot of animal protein. In the wild, goldfish eat insects that live or fall in the water, but for the most part, they are vegetarians. So the biggest part of their diets should consist of plant matter.

You can actually starve a goldfish by feeding it solely animal protein. I'd save the shrimp for a treat.

Fresh proteins are great for growth and development! I would not feed shrimp at every meal but vary it up with other fresh proteins such as salmon, flounder, mackeral, other fresh fish, soft bugs (earthworms are free to dig up and FULL of protein!), etc. The only concern with feeding shrimp at every meal is its iodine content- fine in moderation but excess of anything is not a good idea. No worries as long as their diet is varied. :)

Fresh proteins are great for growth and development! I would not feed shrimp at every meal but vary it up with other fresh proteins such as salmon, flounder, mackeral, other fresh fish, soft bugs (earthworms are free to dig up and FULL of protein!), etc. The only concern with feeding shrimp at every meal is its iodine content- fine in moderation but excess of anything is not a good idea. No worries as long as their diet is varied. :)

I can actually feed the boys earth worms? Do you have to do anything to the worms first?

Haha i remember JLK from another website he helped me with orandas... Jlk is an expert do as he says.. And also if he advises you to do water changes then make sure its with aGOOD. Water conditioner.. He is right well fish fancy's are pooing like that means they constipating a little.. Feed it loads of veggies, peas etc and itl be fine in no time

Haha i remember JLK from another website he helped me with orandas... Jlk is an expert do as he says.. And also if he advises you to do water changes then make sure its with aGOOD. Water conditioner.. He is right well fish fancy's are pooing like that means they constipating a little.. Feed it loads of veggies, peas etc and itl be fine in no time

Except JLK is a she. Lol

Reactions: jlk
Hi Xm! Nice to see you here!

Earthworms are fine as long as you dig them up from somewhere that is free of pesticide/chemical use (which leeches into the soil and worms). Tiny ones you can feed whole. Bigger ones need to cut into pieces (not for the squeamish...). :)

Hi jlk nice to see you on here too.. As you can probably tell from my profile pic im in to reefs now :) any way keep up the good work.

This is something jlk wrote to me i still have it saved in my notes so il share it with you

'Diet- feed a quality sinking goldfish pellet such as Hikari, pro-Gold or NLS. A couple of small meals spread out through out the day is better for digestion than one or two big meals. Goldfish lack a 'true' stomach to store food so grazing diet is better suited to them. Alternately, an even better diet option is homemade gel food diet. You can check out The GAB (goldfish & aquarium board) for good recipe ideas. Also offer daily (yes, daily) plain, cooked veggies (not canned- too much salt) and occasional fruits (no more than 2-3x/wk). Veggies- broccoli, zuchini, cauliflower, spinach, deshelled peas, kale, turnip greens, aspargus heads, carrots, peppers, etc. Nothing spicy or starchy (corn, potatoes). Fruits- tangerines, oranges, bananas, berries, soft apple or pear, etc. Hard stuff such as carrots can be crushed in a garlic press.

Ph & temp- a stable ph is best (6.8-8), temp 68-74, check your water before a water change or anytime something is amiss- more often, if your concerned or unsure or theres a new fish, etc. Once you gain better confidence in your tank, you will be able to reduce the frequency of water checks.'

Reactions: jlk
Back
Top Bottom