whiteskirt tetra has pink fleshy mass around fin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whiteskirt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sorry, I can't post all my specs right now, but has anyone seen this before? All my other fish are healthy. He's had it about 10 days. I just dosed the whole tank with Melafix for 7 days and did an h2o change, but it didn't help. This photo is horrible, i'm sorry, i'll try again later....:ermm:

Attachments

• tetra_fin.jpg
    tetra_fin.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 319
This looks like a painted tetra, I am sorry but painted fish do not live very good lives.

This is about painted fish. They have weakend immune systems. and are tramatized by the process.
Death By Dyeing - Fish Death By Dyeing

Fruit Tetras - Created by dipping the White Skirt Tetra, an albino morph of the popular Black Skirt Tetra. They are usually painted pastel colors and given fruit names such as, strawberry tetra, blueberry tetra, grape tetra, or simply mixed fruit. Some marketers have gone so far as painting the fish special colors for holidays. For example, red and blue dye is used to create a patriotic colored fish for the fourth of July. Orange dyed versions are sold with naturally colored black fish during the Halloween season.

hi, thanks for writing! This is the only response I've had! This pic does make the fish look overly pink, but he is just a plain whiteskirt (was labelled a whiteskirt, and also looks like every other ws I'd had). The flesh around the fin is very pink and also kind of looks like he's losing scales in places, and it's pink where that is happening as well. I would never knowingly buy a painted/dyed fish, I think it's an abhorrent practice.

Good for you! Well, I actually have the same problem at the moment, I moved tanks yesterday and the same pink thing happened to me. One of my new panda cories has an injury to the bottom armpit area on his right side fin. I would make sure the water is super clean, I plan on doing partial water changes a few times for a week and it should clear up. Perhaps a close up picture of your injury might help. It maybe injury, or infection.

59044-albums9042-picture43298.jpg
Sadly, I ended up euthanizing my poor fish tonight--he spent the day thrashing around in circles, all upside down/sideways and frantic. I took a picture just in the hope that it may help diagnose another with the same ailment. It seems that the afflicted fin is significantly smaller than the healthy one on the other side, which may explain the swimming problems, or suggest that it got eaten away by a fungus? The original problem 2 weeks ago was more "fleshy" than in this photo--but does ANYONE recognize it???? So discouraging to find nothing on the web (I really searched!!), and receive only one reply (and i posted on other sites as well). I guess we just do what we can. Sometimes i think I won't keep fish anymore, it's too sad when things don't go well. :(

Back
Top Bottom