wife wants a nano have some ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbird79

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to build a 20 gal nano for my wife. Since i have to wait to build my 55 till we move. I have a couple of questions. What kind of hob filter should i use. And what should i do as far as stocking. She wants clowns. Please help.

Are you not dojng live rock? I don't know much about saltwater filtering but I do know a little when it comes to stocking. You could do 2 clownfish, a goby, and maybe one other small fish or some type of shrimp. I may be wrong so wait for some others to answer.

Yes im doin live rock but i was thinking alil extra filtration wouldn't hurt. I dont have room for a sump

jbird79 said:
Yes im doin live rock but i was thinking alil extra filtration wouldn't hurt. I dont have room for a sump

Yeah I don't think any extra filtration would hurt at all. I don't have any clue on what type though...

What I have heard is that with saltwater hob you want to double the size like for your 20gal you could get one that dose 40gal or so and you should have no problems as far as brand carey hit the nail on the head I have used this one befor and worked great

jbird79 said:
I want to build a 20 gal nano for my wife. Since i have to wait to build my 55 till we move. I have a couple of questions. What kind of hob filter should i use. And what should i do as far as stocking. She wants clowns. Please help.

With a 20 gallon you may want to have clowns and only clowns, at least till its almost a year old to give it plenty of time to build up all your good bacteria. Bioload wise, once a tank is "seasoned" it OS hard to overload the Bioload without doing anything drastic. Crowding become the issue in that small of a tank. The suggested HOB is a good one.

Crabs and shrimp and snails are fine, theres really no limit on them, but to be reasonable. lol You dont want 50 crabs in a 20g for instance. :)

I have 20 snails in my biocube, but I love the narscicsuss ones almost as much as I like fish, they are great fun to watch feed. :)

Ok good to know. What about the clowns. Dont they host them.

They CAN but its no guarantee. They also can host corals, r most anything for that matter. Nems require a larger tank, pristine water an excellent lighting. Also not a good idea to put one in a new tank, rahrer wait for it to be seasoned over time for your best shot at them.

Well i want them to be as happy as possible. Any ideas.

jbird79 said:
Well i want them to be as happy as possible. Any ideas.

I've seen them host xenia, torch,frogspawn. I have moved both a Duncan colony and a paly patch because they were hosting them and it wasn't working out. My friend scubasteve has a pair I gave him and they are hosting a patch of xenia and the coral is thriving from it.

R33F FeTiSh said:
I've seen them host xenia, torch,frogspawn. I have moved both a Duncan colony and a paly patch because they were hosting them and it wasn't working out. My friend scubasteve has a pair I gave him and they are hosting a patch of xenia and the coral is thriving from it.

Look at the bottom left

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110728_183811.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110728_183811.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 130
Also, clownfish don't have to have an anenome. You just can't witness the symbiotic relationship they have which is very cool.

Back
Top Bottom