Will aquarium sand break my canister filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid.Keeper

Aquarium Advice Freak
Filling up my 65g today need advice quick!
I bought 60lb of cleaned aquarium sand, I am now debating whether or not I should put it in because I have an ehiem professional canister filter, and am afraid if sand gets in the filter it will destroy it. Please help, tell me if I'm wrong. Or precautions I should take.
Thanks so much!

Solid waste will collect in the sponge around the intake, you just need to wash that out when needed

I got an aqua clear foam filter sponge will that be okay? It's coarse ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390247250.596929.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390247290.412445.jpg

Planning on cutting a hole in it and sliding the intake in right into it

Looks like it should be ok, I've not seen that particular foam in person though. Also make sure the intake isn't too close to the bottom of the tank otherwise it's just gonna vacuum the sand right from the bottom

Looks like it should be ok, I've not seen that particular foam in person though. Also make sure the intake isn't too close to the bottom of the tank otherwise it's just gonna vacuum the sand right from the bottom

It's a hard sponge made for the inside of a filter. It's okay?

My eheim intake pipe was too long and was touching the substrate... I sawn it with a hacksaw. (!?!Sawn is the good word for cutting?!?)

Back
Top Bottom