Will Ryukin's Destroy all Plant Life?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satsumas

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all,

I will more than likely get hold of a 3-4ft long aquarium during the next few days which will be the new home of two ryukins.
I am using this time to prepare for it, think of any possible things to do before setting it up and think of a design for it.

When the Ryukin was in the Biorb, all the plants were eaten or damaged beyond repair. Ryukin's seem to eat everything and anything that will fit into their mouths so im guessing most plants will be eaten?

Also are there any suggestions as to what theme or design the tank should follow? If not plants then wood or rock? They like gravel so it looks like sand is'nt an option.

What decor works best with Ryukins?
I'm thinking a rocky/wood design with the odd large pebble? :wink:

TIA

I good cave will make them happy. You can also get some java ferns, i don't think there are many fish that eat those. I think it would be neet if you have black gravel, black background and grey plastic plants. That way the fish will really stand out.

I'd like some plants and i would've thought some small ones and maybe some tall thin ones would be ok.

I'm thinking of some grey/black gravel/shingle with some large pebbles and driftwood. A black background will add to the contrast of decor to fish.

I didn't know they liked caves. I'll have to make some of those aswell then.

Thanks for the reply.

My Ryukins don't eat everything! I've had no problems with crypts, hornworts, anubias & java ferns.

I've actually had very little problem with my fish eating the plants, they take a nibble here & there but not enough to do much damage.

I think part of the success is:
1. Feed the fish lots of veggies (my goldies prefers cooked veggies to raw one, so if they get enough peas & zucchinis, they are less likely to go after the plants).
2. Have fast growing plants & lots of it - a few nibbles here & there won't devestate your tank if it is heavily planted.
3. Use mostly tough/unpalatable plants (esp. in the beginning) - you train your fish to associate live plants with poor taste ... once they get that, you might try sneaking in a few tender plants you like & the fish are likley to ignore them.

Finally, don't worry if the fish eat all your plants! It is good for them!

The only plants I put in with my goldies are ones intended for food. My plants are grown in a seperate tank and clippings are given to the goldies. There are just some fish that can't have planted tanks, so if you want plants, plan your fish. I suggest you move to bigger gravel or barebottom also. Goldies love digging in gravel, but soon enough you might lose a fish because they got a piece stuck in their throat. I have large river rocks in my tanks which I arrange differently every once in a while to form caves and interesting scenes. No other decor. I really don't suggest wood for ryukins because if its soft enough they could create quite a mess with it.

This Ryukin does and will eat everything! We did have two and between them they would dessimate any plants that we put into the biorb.
He gets peas every once in a while about 1-2 a week mixed with pellet food.

I was thinking of some mixed gravel as a substrate, different sizes and types of gravel but if they will inedvertandtly eat some then i guess i'll have to scrap that idea.
I plan to use some black sand (if there's any left over) as a thin layer on the bottom then cover it with the now larger gravel.

If i do put some wood in, then i doubt they would be able to break chunks off. The driftwood available to me is good, strong stuff but now there may be a potential hazard i will try to select pieces with no thin areas which will be weaker.

I didn't know ryukin's like caves, i find that quite surprising. I'll try to make some natural looking caves with the decor available.

My goldies are out in the open all the time, but they do like some cover when they go to sleep at night ... so some shallow caves or rock overhang is good for them.

Gravel is good for substrate - as long as it is big enough so the golds can't get it into their mouths (eg - 1/2 to 3/4" pea gravel + larger river rocks for accent).

Plants are hit & miss with golds. There are pics of beautiful planted goldies tanks at Kiko's, so it is possible. However, if you want to try plants, don't start with anything expensive. You can consider cheap plants to be growing live food. You just might find some that the golds find unpalatable & use that as the basis of your planted tank.

I think i may throw in some cheap plants or when i trim my tank perhaps i'll plant the cuttings and see how they do.
I like building caves in tanks, i'm not brilliant at it but i'll try nevertheless. :)

I do have a fairly wide selection if gravel available to me, different shapes and sizes.
I would like a mixture but i'll bare in mind the 1/2 inch size as minimum.

Is there anything else i should be aware of or something i can do now whilst the tank isn't here yet? Preperation is the key and i'd like to get it all right first time.
My other tank is'nt in a great postition regarding the filter so i'll be aware of that.

Also anything i need to know about Ryukins? I know they produce a lot of waste and i am currently looking at some external filters which should be more than capable of doing a good job.

Thanks for the replies and help. :)

I've got internal filters in all my tanks. I currently own 12 various goldfish beeds. I personally do not like external filters at all. They take a lot of maintenence and if there is a power outage the water is seperated from the media, whereas with an internal filter the media is in the water. Long story short- with two ryukins in a 30+ gallon tank, your filters should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom