Would these bulbs be okay to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm planning to change the incandescent bulbs in my hood to fluorescent

img_2301331_0_6c82052a1c250f61a4132e47bac95040.jpg

Would these be okay to use?

It's a 10g tank.

I'm planning on getting java fern for starters...

I'm planning to change the incandescent bulbs in my hood to fluorescent

Would these be okay to use?

It's a 10g tank.

I'm planning on getting java fern for starters...

I'm using bulbs similar to that, but not in a hood. I have a 55g that doesn't have a hood and I use a clip on lamp with bulbs similar to that, mine are also made by GE, they are 60e equivalent but only use 13w, which is the max I can use in the clip on lamp. It seems to work pretty well in my 55g so far; I do have to get more clip on lamps as I get more plants, the few plants I have are all on one side of my tank. But I would think if you want to go the clip on lamp route one would be enough since you only have a 10g. I would check your hood and see if you can find a wattage and get a bulb that uses that amount of watts.

I'm using bulbs similar to that, but not in a hood. I have a 55g that doesn't have a hood and I use a clip on lamp with bulbs similar to that, mine are also made by GE, they are 60e equivalent but only use 13w, which is the max I can use in the clip on lamp. It seems to work pretty well in my 55g so far; I do have to get more clip on lamps as I get more plants, the few plants I have are all on one side of my tank. But I would think if you want to go the clip on lamp route one would be enough since you only have a 10g. I would check your hood and see if you can find a wattage and get a bulb that uses that amount of watts.

I've been looking for some advice on lighting also. I have a 55 gal that I'm setting up and will put in live plants. Will this LED light bar work for that? It's what I bought at PetSmart.

Attachments

• 2013-01-21 21.49.37.jpg
    2013-01-21 21.49.37.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 42
I've been looking for some advice on lighting also. I have a 55 gal that I'm setting up and will put in live plants. Will this LED light bar work for that? It's what I bought at PetSmart.

Can you find anywhere on the package where it says 6500k? I think that's a good number to aim for if your doing low light plants. Generally for plants (from what I've read) you want to 5000k-10000k; the closer you get to 10000k (the way I understand this anyway, I could be wrong and someone please correct me!) is more for medium-high light plants.

Single brights are pretty low light AFAIK. Not enough penetration to reach bottom well. Some LEDs work for plants, that's not a good one from what I've heard.

You will probably not be able to grow much in a 55g with single brights. They are not very bright at all.

Back
Top Bottom