would this just be fin rot on goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smooth_cannibal

Aquarium Advice Activist
my mom needed her goldfish (4 of them) brought in for the winter and i took them since i have no fish in my 55. she's not making them a tank that they over winter in til after the new year.

after i acclimated them and let them go i got a shock as one of the comets has no tail. it was all cottony at the nub he could still swim sort of and he is eating.

is this just really bad tail rot. i couldn't do anything about it at the time and the next day it was much better. all the cottony material has fallen off. just the nub of his would be tail.

moms took good care of the pond i feel bad as i always check on them when i can and i never noticed anything wrong with any of them.

since it did really improve should i still go ahead and treat for fin rot. i have a bucket and can feed an air stone off my tank in the basement. i have about 5 or 6 1gallon doses of paraguard and even a full thing of betta revive if need be.

How are the parameters in this tank? Can you post a pic?

If there is nothing to indicate infection right now and the fish seems active and eating, I honestly would do nothing except keep the parameters pristine. There is another member here with a goldfish with no tail and he functions perfectly normal with his disability.

my tank is cycled and everything already. just didn't have any fish. i am not sure yet what i want in it so i took her goldfish til she gets them their winter home setup and i don't have to keep my tank cycled without fish.

Attachments

• DSC08293.jpg
    DSC08293.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 114
Keep a very close eye on this fish and be prepared to treat him if needed. His tail is quite eroded but it seems to be in the process of trying to heal right now. If the ends of his tail or fins start to appear ragged/break or you see red veining, let us know as soon as possible. Did he have these black areas when he was brought inside?

he is still swimming around decently and eating well.

the black areas. i do not remember actually. they lived in one of my tanks for about a month when my mom got them til she got the pond up and running. not seeing them in so long from anything other than up above i can't remember. i want to say yes. the flash doesn't show it but his whole eyes are completely black. kind of creepy. empty like a dolls eyes.

Good thing is, he has some tail fin left, so it will grow back as long as infection has ceased.

The black just looks like colouration to me, I would say there are some shubunkin genes in this fish

Back
Top Bottom