Would this setup be adequate for Red Cherry Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm really in to nano / pico sized tanks, and I'm thinking of getting one of those ADA type frameless low iron ultra clear tanks. The tank I'm considering is 4 gallons (Dimensions: 12.2" L x 7.5" W x 9.8" H)...

Anyway, I have some extra floramax substrate so i want to do a planted tank with moderate lighting and diy co2. I'll add on an aqua clear 20 with a sponge prefilter.

Would this setup be adequate for Red Cherry Shrimp? How many could i keep and would they breed in a 4g? I'm thinking if the RCS keep multiplying, i can rehome some and feed some of the smaller ones to my dwarf puffers in my other tank.

Thoughts?

Thats fine, cherry shrimp are good in any setup really.
As for how many, if you kept the tank nice and clean, i could see you keeping 30-40, using the 10 shrimp per gallon rule.
Also, if i were you and going with an ADA, either get a larger one, or get the whole works,solar mini m light, canister filter ect.
If not, you can get the same size tanks from green leaf aquariums and other companies for alot cheaper.

@tropicalMackdaddy ... Id love to go full ada, gla, or do!aqua but that would be more costly than what i want to spend. Although, i believe its attainable if i really set my goals on it, I'm just a big ol' softy to bargains with comparable products and underdogs. I know mr. Aqua had some more budget friendly options too. I was actually considering the 7.5g cube they have. However, being that i have 2 other aquariums and that i really just want to do a clean iwagumi style planted tank with RCS, i figured a small 4g would look nice by my desk and not take away too much glory of my other 2 tanks. Plus reduce maintenance and electric bill..lol

So that brings me to a frameless low iron alternative by the name of Schuber Wright. I found this ADA-style tank that comes with a Finnex Fugeray LED fixture (among other options) for about $80 shipped. The ADA and GLA options, give or take a ~.5 - 1 gallon, cost that much just for their low iron tank (not including shipping or any light options). The one trade off is a slightly thicker glass by 1mm. Not a big deal. And the bevel glass on the front, but that can be fixed by setting up the tank backwards because the bevel is only on one side.

I found only a few reviews on the Schuber Wright 4g and all were pretty good. They all agree that that silicone work is excellent. I also read some reviews on the Finnex Fugeray that pointed to being pretty good for the money with a decent PAR rating for low to moderate light plants.

Check it out:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

And the fixture:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=173593

And more of the tank:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=186727

I found an Ebay seller that gives you options of filters, lights, and stand.. I'm going for just the tank and led light fixture. I'll get the filter separately. Probably just an AC 20 because I'm strapped for cash.

@Predfan... Thinking of diy co2 depending on the flora I'm gonna keep.. But one of my inspirations is this tank...

ForumRunner_20120822_153624.jpg

I'm all for CO2 in nano tanks like that.

I just worry about DIY with such small quantities of water.

Oh... I get ya! I'm a big newb to it all so I'm not quite sure if it's doable? I just don't want to spend a whole lot of cash... you think I should just dose with Excel instead then?

I barely set up my first DIY co2 on my JBJ Nano Cube 12g about 2 weeks ago... So far it's going great and I'm getting good growth without too much algae issues. But yeah it's like 4wpg of PC lighting (2x24w). I'm only keeping the lights on for 6 to 7 hours. The drop checker shows lime green (w/ 4 dkH reference solution), I believe that's about 6.5~6.8 pH.

I'm thinking of getting a paintball pressurized co2 system for the 12g and i was going to transfer my DIY setup to the 4g...

Do you guys think the Finnex Fugeray 12" with a 38-42 PAR value at 10" from the source would be strong enough if I added co2 and the proper flora that can utilize that light?

Thoughts and suggestions on this? LOL

Back
Top Bottom